Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie C-4 to T-1 fusions awaiting cervical SCS trial

PixelatorPPixelator Posts: 1
edited 10/07/2014 - 11:13 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all -

I'm Bob Laubach from Manassas, VA. I manage the photo lab facilities at Northern Virginia Community College Alexandria VA campus. My continuing neck and right arm pain all started at a dentist appointment in June 2011. The dental chair headrest wasn't properly tightened and my head snapped back. As the dental work progressed my back and right arm hurt more and more. It was so bad i couldn't return for the afternoon dentist appointment to continue dental work. Pain was so bad i went to my GP instead, who initially treated me with steroids thinking it was likely a pulled muscle. I was in misery the whole weekend with no help from the steroids and returned to GP who sent me for an MRI. MRI showed burst disc at C7/T1. Referred by GP to orthopedic surgeon. Had ACDF of C7/T1 with cadaver bone graft and titanium plate and screws. Felt better but pain came back. New MRI showed C6/C7 disc pressing on nerve. Second surgery by same orthopedic surgeon ACDF of C6/C7 with cadaver bone graft and titanium plate and screws. Immediate relief again, but pain back in different location. Had been treating by this time with a pain doc and he recommended a neurosurgeon with possible cervical spinal cord stimulation for pain. Neurosurgeon had me get another MRI which showed both C4/C5 and C5/C6 discs bad. Neurosurgeon said SCS at that point would just be a bandaid and recommended more minimal fusion using a disc like device inserted into disc spaces made of titanium with stem cell bone in middle for fusion. Neurosurgeon suggested seeing if that resolved pain or if pain continues after we could look into cervical SCS then. Again, good results after surgery but pain still bad 12 weeks post surgery. Back to pain doc and back on endocet and cyclowhateveritis. Worst pain has been the pain in elbow like when u hit your funny bone. Took computer based psych quiz and waiting to hear from health plan on starting the cervical SCS trial. Its been three years on a roller coaster of pain and procedures. When you go to your dentist, make sure they tighten the headrest, please!