Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed fusions

1028761102876 Posts: 248
edited 10/09/2014 - 11:07 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone,
Some background: I was diagnosed with an Os odontoideum with a SCI in January 2013 and was scheduled for an emergency surgery to fuse my C1-C2 together. I also had hyper extension. Post op I was in severe pain and nothing helped- my tingling sensation I had due to my SCI. My surgeon got new scans which showed hyperexstension again and thought my tract could be giving more than it should causing me to have worsening symptoms and by this time I had lost full grip strength in my left hand. We extended the fusion up to the occipital lobe. This made the pain even worse than before to the point that I can't function and now almost a year later my body is starting to give up with the pain. We recieved new scans which showed my C2 screws where coming out because of my hyperexstension that I still have which is degenerating my C3 causing a popping. I will be having my 3 and hopefully final fusion for a while!
I was wondering if anyone had advice on what could help my fusion to succeed. I know we are all different but since my first 2 fusions were a fail I wanted to see what others could give me. My neurosurgeon is amazing also and he tried absolutely everything before recommending surgery and even met with 10 other neurosurgeons to see what the best plan would be. She really is like my guardian angel!

• may help and some vitamin d supplements. It might be possible to ask about a bone growth stimulator as well.
  • Thanks! I have never thought about the bone growth stimulator. Any tips on how to prevent the hardware from loosening since I have had some problems with that.
  • if they do, then they may be too small. Mine loosened and were backing out of the vertebra( two out of four) and they had to replace them but I wasn't fused so that had more to do with the need to replace them while they redid the fusion.
    Once you are fused, they can remove them, if the surgeon feels like it is an option.
    The only other thing that I can suggest is to avoid those movements that might put too much stress on the screws.