Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 level cervical fusion

baddadbbaddad Posts: 2
edited 10/08/2014 - 8:32 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi I have had 16 surgeries on my spine and body,il save the horrible story for later.I had a 5 level cervical fusion this last feb , march i also have gone to 3 postop visits with xrays where he was looking for bone growth and progress on my health 1st xray showed no bone growth 2nd no bone growth 3rd very little bone growth and last sat i had my 4th xray and the results havent changed since the last xray "NOW IM SCARRED "You would think by now there would be some type of healing going oni cant compare my other fusions one was cadaver and the other was a dynesys system with spacers and bungee cord.The surgeon doesnt say anything but it just takes time and i really dont know what happens from here i cant go back to the surgeon that did the surgery he is now not on my insurance plan and im trying to find another surgeon.healing is going good pain is better everything is going fine and this bomb shell today just blind sided me,i wasnt expecting no change over 3 months.Anyone have a magic wand i sure could use one right about now.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    In the link to failed spinal surgery it states..." In general, it takes at least three months to get a solid fusion, and it can take up to a year after the spine surgery"

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • 71roadrunner771roadrunner Posts: 1
    edited 10/10/2014 - 3:24 AM
    I was wondering if anyone else has problems with spasms around the area where you had the acdf? I now know how they actually pose you during surgery. It explains why I have the spasms but what can I do to alleviate the spasms...
    Lisa Creighton
  • Do you smoke? My neurosurgeon told me that smoking will significantly interfere with bone growth. In fact, he told me that if I didn't stop smoking he wouldn't even do the surgery. Everything that I have been able to read about this surgery online says the same thing about the negative effects of nicotine on bone fusion.

I am quitting smoking as I wait for insurance approval.
  • MaggieMMaggie Posts: 4
    edited 12/30/2014 - 1:11 PM
    Hi hope you are doing well , I just entered 5 level fusion an found you, I've had 10 lumbar surgeries, an the last one was T-10-S-1 mine is either 5 or6 level ,but I am having a horrible time with bone growth. They used both hips for bone harvest an cadaver bone an bmp an nothing is working! My low lumbar L-4-s-1 keeps moving and causing horrible pain, have you started with any healing yet? Also smoking is a big problem. Also any growth with me took at least six months, hope you have gotten better news by now!
  • Moses1015MMoses1015 Posts: 3
    edited 01/05/2015 - 1:54 PM
    Hi, I had two neck surgeries. The first one was a 4 level which failed. 5 of the screws came out 3 months after the surgery. The butcher that did it new after the first XR 3 months later. I found out 6 months later. I was having increased pain & went to another surgeon who xrayed it. He showed me the X-ray & the plate falling apart. I fainted in his office!
    He referred me to another surgeon in Mpls. Who performed a 5 level with rods in the back. Its 3 years later the fusion is OK. But I have pain in the back of my neck & between my shoulder blades. I take ultram & lidocaine pain patches. I have had 3 trigger point injections & epidural which didn't help.
    The only way I believe what's going on with my neck X-ray is if I can physical see them. I don't believe what they tell me anymore. I would get the xrays & the reports & see & read for myself. I hope this helps. Good Luck!