Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my medical experience

edited 10/09/2014 - 6:01 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello I av been suffering fron a herniated disc for nine months now idk what to do anymore,I recencly started seeing a chiropractor, I will copy and paste an e mail which I sent to him as I have a lot to say, please give me advice ,I just joined this forum : My name is Nathan Valaneil Daniel, I am 19 years old, I experienced back problems for the first time at age 15, I fell from a swing and did part tme catering which which meant me lifting heavy equipment, at first I should just get a sharp pain in my lower back for a few seconds everytime I stood up, a few months later the pain was so severe that I could not move, I laid in bed for about a week with my legs elevated and then the pain slowly subsided and went away, but after this incident I could never bend again, when I tried to bend it hurt too much and felt like a chord was pulling down my right leg, I was fine as long as I did not bend. Then, 4 years later, which is now (2014) I experienced severe pain in my lower back with severe pain running down my right leg, it was there whether I bent or not. I went to a gp, and clinic but all they said was just give it time and gave me loads of medication, which did not do much, then I went to a hospital and was diagnosed with herniated l4-l5-s1 discs and sciatica in my right leg, they did the same as the clinic and gp, I was on medications such as lyrica which caused me to gain weight, I was 50kgs I'm now 65kgs! The medication also caused severe constipation. When I went back after living in pain for months they convinced me that a steroid epidural would fix me and pushed me into it, I was only explained the side effects after the epidural, after the epidural I was left with more pain than before and also never ending tinnitus and killer headaches and I put on even more weight, I was and am so angry that they did this to me especially at my age, there were days when I wake up and tell myself that I'm just existing, not living, I was so suicidal. I researched my symptoms and found it could most definately be a post dural puncture which means that the epidural needle was pushed in too deep piercing the dural, if left untreated it could cause deafness, blindness and dymencia, this scares me so much. When I brought this to the doctor's attention he just said that there was no way it could be because of the epidural and reffered me to an ENT. It angers these doctors when you try to diagnose yourself and they will never agree with you or admit their mistakes. This left me hating medical doctors as all they care about is money and not the patient. I matriculated in 2013 and planned to study in 2014, but due to my situation I couldn't. I just pray I get better, I have been living in pain and on medication for the past 9 months (from february) sometimes I have to take up to 20 tablets a day, I sometimes wish I could just die instead of live in this way. When I met EDITED I was shocked at how much we think alike in terms of medical doctors and that the cause should be treated, not the symptom. I also tried physiotherapy, acupressure and blood letting through cupping and nothing worked. I trust and hope that EDITED can help meget better and if chiropractic works for me I will study to become a chiropractor and help people because I personally know how it feels. NATHAN VALANEIL DANIEL. 05-10-14. : I go to a public hospital in my country, I know there are some good doctors out there but unfortunatly the ones I encountered were not.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/09/2014 - 6:08 AM

There are steps to getting the proper treatment for spine pain. A chiropractor can help you with muscular pain, but they are not the best option when it comes to treating herniations or other problems in the spine. Adjustments can make herniation worse and compressed nerves can be made worse by allowing adjustments to your spine.
    Rest, and medications are the normal first steps, along with physical therapy to try to ease the symptoms of the pain that you are having. MOST back pain resolves on it's own, but when there are herniations present, depending on whether or not there is contact with other structures in the spine, may need further treatment. Injections are given to ease the pain and inflammation in the area but they are not meant to cure the problem. They are there to ease the symptoms you are having. Increased pain for a few days is common, because of the addition of the medication in a tiny area of the spine. Once the medications start to work, the symptoms usually ease up.
    If not, then it may not be what is causing your pain.
    If you have had MRI 's done, you best option would be to take them to a board certified spine surgeon and see what he says is wrong , first, then what treatment steps he recommends.