Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Test....anyone heard of this one

Desert GirlDDesert Girl Posts: 3
edited 10/09/2014 - 8:01 AM in Pain Medications
Hello Everyone,
Just moved to a new town here in Texas and had to get scheduled with a pain management facility here.
Well, the one that I went asked you to do DNA testing which I had never heard of. Does anyone know
anything about this. By the way, it cost my insurance $3,800.00.....whew!!! Would welcome any comments
or sharing of any knowledge of what these tells entail. Thanks and have a blessed day!
Desert Girl

• I never heard anybody requesting DNA test for spinal evaluation. Are you sure you did not misunderstand it?
  • pain clinics to determine which opiates work best based on genetic markers........it is expensive and not all pain clinics are doing it, yet.
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 10/11/2014 - 8:40 AM
    I notice Sandi said "yet". I think this test is a great idea. I could save you so many frustrations down the road. It not only shows which meds at what doses should work best for you, it also shows how well your body clears the waste of different meds. That could save your liver down the road. I know it's expensive but if your insurance covers it & you can afford it I'd welcome having it done!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/11/2014 - 1:56 PM
    I am not sure about any test showing what dosages might be most effective......that seems beyond what any dna test can tell you. I can see where the test could show which medications your body would process better, but not the dosages needed.
    I wouldn't mind seeing it used more often, as it would eliminate/minimize a lot of ongoing issues with medications , for those who haven't found effective pain relief levels.
  • There was a time where my PM thought that maybe I wasn't being 100% up front with him when I said the medicine he had me on wasn't working. He told me depending on what "the" test said, would depend on my future treatment plan. I read through the lines on that! After getting the test, it showed that my body does not metabolize hydrocodone or oxycodone. Because of that, I was changed to Opana which has worked much better than any other med I've been on.

There is a string or two about this issue further back in history. If you search "DNA test" I think it will find the strings.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I meant simply that higher doses of certain meds would be needed to be effective. I have a friend with a similar experience to Keith. She was being doubted because 'normal' doses of certain meds were having little effect on her. Sorry, I should of worded that better.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Like Keith said, the test determines what medications your body will metabolize better/more effectively than others.......it's just the dosages of medications that I don't believe the test can show.......all of our bodies are unique, and break down certain metabolites more efficiently than others, which I think is a great thing when it comes to the premise behind the test.....it would certainly eliminate the trial and error of trying out different medications and not getting the results that we should...