Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 weeks post-op ACDF

I'm currently 4 weeks post op for a 3 level ACDF, A4-7. The first 2 weeks were pretty rough, but now 4 weeks out I can say that my pre-surgery pain/issues are gone! That's the good news, the not great news is part of my post-op experience is basically no functionality with my left arm due to something with the nerve root during surgery at A4/5. The Dr. told me that by 1 month out I should start to get some functionality back, and by 5 months I should be back to normal. I have started to get some movement back, but this has made some of the basic things like showering/washing hair, putting on shirts etc. very difficult and requiring assistance.

I'm feeling optimistic that I'm on track with what the Dr. said, however super frustrated that it happened in the first place (they never quite answered my question as to what happened) and thinking about 3-4 months of needing assistance for basic things makes me nuts.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Anything that you've done to make things easier? Thanks in advance!! -Sue

• Have you gotten a copy of your surgery report? Did you have these symptoms prior to your surgery? Or did they develop post op?
    Nerves can take some months to recover, but I would want to know exactly what occurred and why.
  • Sandi, I did not have these symptoms pre-surgery…I woke up from surgery with them. I have not received a copy of my surgery report, but when I asked why it happened he said it was swelling, inflammation, and the spinal cord compression coming back into shape. The PA told me that if the nerve route is even touched this can happen.