Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal stimulation problms

Hi all. Im back, and worse than ever.
Here is the long story short... On July 11,2014, I had my neurostim implant (medtronics device) with paddles inserted.
On July 24 I did my follow up with the surgeons PA, and had staples removed. I was suffering some pain, and large scabbing, but the PA refused to listen to my concerns. I went back three times, and wound up being admitted into the hospital for 12 days, because, I had developed an abcess and staph infection. I had major drainage, pus, swelling fever etc.
The second surgery was 8/20. Since then, i have been suffering from blinding headaches, tenderness, vision problems, lethargy.
I have been thru numerous blood tests which show an infection, but its not in my blood stream. Its apparently in my spinal column.
I saw a neurologist, who ordered a catscan of the implant area, and my brain.
I have a build up of pressure in my spinal column. Apparently it one of three things. a) the infection and abcess pressed onto the paddle which is putting pressure on the spinal cord. b), THe impant was placed wrong c) the surgeon nicked the spinal column during the surgery.
Now I cant get it removed sue to the infection, and cant fight the infection due to the compression.
Has anyone ever gone thru this, or heard of such problems? Please, any info is appreciated
john morris

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/12/2014 - 4:29 AM
    This is only my understanding, but when there is an infection of an implant or an area where the implant is located, the implant itself , and the leads needs to be removed, then the infection treated, and the area allowed to heal, before considering implanting a new device.
    Leaving the infection untreated is unwise, and since it is so close to your spinal cord, you might want to consider finding a new doctor.....getting the reports from the hospital where the implant was done, including the surgical report, your medical file from whomever did the implant, and seeing either a wound care doctor or a infectious disease doctor.
    That implant , to my knowledge should have been removed, as well as the leads.
  • Hi Sandi... Thank you
    after everything Im going thru, I desperately want it removed. I have no faht in the surgeon that implanted it, and no other surgeon wants to take the risk of puncturing the spinal column, or doing anything now with the infection going on. Im on 5 different meds, and nothing helps.
    john morris
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/12/2014 - 3:41 PM
    I can understand the concerns with puncturing the spinal cord, but with infection, removing it is the only option as far as I am aware.
  • I have decided to have the SCS trial done, follow by the Medtronic device surgery. From what I have read, 3 issues stick out:
    1. the post surgery time is painful. I assume from the surgery and having foreign objects in my back (2) be prepared for when you arrive at home. 3.
    How long is the inactivity ( on average)Any women out there who have had this done. Any suggestions for making these preparations. I am wanting the very minutia .
  • I have decided to have the trial and the implant done next month. I was wondering if some of you, especially the women could give me some pointers and tips for the post surgical period. I have read that after surgery, I can expect to have pain at the surgery site. Any average time for the pain? That is how long can I expect to have pain? I understand that physical activity is very restrictive. In what way will it be restrictive? How long does it last
    I could use any tips for keeping my self comfortable after the surgery is over. Any tips would be welcome.
  • I definitely think a second opinion with infectious disease would be a good idea.
    my first scs got infected as well. all 3 areas were cultured positive inc spinal cord. in return i got an iv to go home with and a month of vancomycin. then had to wait 4 more months to try implant on the other side, it worked! if there is a big abcess in the spinal cord they may not want to pop it by removing it. another neurosurgeon opinion may be a good idea. the infection
    looked like an alien growing under the skin.
    take care and best of luck