Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post cervical surgery

BhupenppcBBhupenppc Posts: 3
edited 10/11/2014 - 8:19 PM in Recovering from Surgery
My doctor has me wearing a neck brace for 6 weeks, i was advised to where one even when i shower. Is this a normal procedure as my brother in law had a similar surgery and he was only wearing his neck brace for a week. It been 3 weeks and I'm not in any pain and still have 3 weeks before my first doctor visit. My surgery was to help resolve issue between c4 and c5 and c6. The reason i ask is because it very uncomfortable being in this neck brace 24 hours a day.

• I had a 3 level C4-C7 4 weeks ago, and I have to wear mine for 12 weeks! I'm allowed to take it off to eat and shower, and was told I could take it off periodically while watching TV.
  • Thanks shuelaces for the reply
  • I had a C2-C5 Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation on 10/4/14.

My doctor has me in a Aspen(hard) collar for 12 weeks. I'm only supposed to take it of when I shower and then leave it off for about 10 minutes afterwards to allow the incision site to air dry. I was told by the PA that my neck is stable and the collar is mainly there to prevent me from making any sudden twists or turns during the fusion process. If 12 weeks in a collar reduces my odds for a lifetime of pain and complications, I have no problem wearing it at all.

If the collar you are wearing is uncomfortable, maybe you could contact your doctor and see if they can recommend a different style?

Good luck with your recovery!
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • I had to wear mine for 6 weeks 24/7 so it's not very unusual. My surgeon said that it is to make sure that the surgery works and gives your body time to normalize to new instrumentation.
  • Thanks you all for your reply. I agree NECK i would wear the collar for 6 month to ensure proper fusion and recovery. I don't know anyone except my brother in law that had this procedure so was limited on personal feedback. My wife ordered few collars from Amazon to give me more options. I think the biggest discomfort is not able to drive which adds all of the responsibility on my wife and i can't help with any errands.
  • when it comes to when and how long to wear the braces post op. The time and type of brace is based on YOUR particular medical condition, surgery type and extensiveness. Others recommendations may be similar or completely different based on their conditions.
  • ScottKBSScottKB Posts: 10
    edited 01/06/2015 - 8:26 AM
    I have had two fusion surgeries over the last 5 years. My most recent fusion at C5/C6 was 3.5 months ago. In both surgeries, I was told that I would probably have to wear the neck brace for 6 weeks. In the end, both surgeons essentially released me at that point after seeing me and my Xrays. Although on the latest surgery, they allowed for me to not wear it for small periods of time when sitting still after three weeks. I still ended wearing it most of the time but would take it for awhile when watching TV just to get some relief. I was never asked to wear it in the shower though. I guess every doctor is a little different. I hated wearing it, especially to bed, but I agree with everyone else that it is worth it in the end.