Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urine Test Procedures WRONG Released from CARE

hassleremoverhhassleremover Posts: 1
edited 10/12/2014 - 2:30 PM in Pain Management
I am new to pain management care. Been under care for 6 months. I have no previous drug or alcohol use in my 40 years.
My doctor placed me on Zoloft, Tramadol, Lyrica, Loratab,Xanex and some other medication. Well this combination made me shake all over. I went to the doctor, and they gave me a urine test, but they handed me a blank unlabeled cup, nothing written on it no name no patient number. Then they instructed me to leave it on a counter inside a wire basket. When I went to do that, no one was there at the desk, but I left it anyway.
Well it turns out that the doctor, called me afterward and wanted to have me come in and do a medication count. Because of scheduling and the fact I was tied up at my workmans comp attorney I did not go. Instead the attorney my attorney sent me to the emergency room because of me shaking all over.
Days later I get a discharged letter from the pain management doctor, releasing me from care, stating that the urine tested showed that I had absolutely no drugs in my system. THAT IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE or A BAD TEST, or SOMEONE else's results. I don't feel that this pain management doctor knows that what happened, but I checked and the doctor is on probation from the State for some reason. Now I am afraid that I will be labeled a drug seeker and that no one else will see me as a patient. I did nothing wrong . What can I do?

• The contracts state that you are subject to urine testing at any time, and if called for a pill count, you have to come in, with the pills in a certain time frame. If you failed to do so, you are subject to dismissal. You may have had some recourse, if you had showed up for the pill count, and the count was correct, you may have had the option to request a retest, but failing the test, and then not showing up for a pill count sealed the case.
  • Though it will most likely not make a difference with the doctor who dismissed you, if I were you, I'd ask my lawyer to file a grievance with the Board of Medical Licensure indicating your story. If the doc is already on probation for something (my guess is for giving out too many meds) then another professional inquiry into his license may soften the "Drug Seeker" label you may have.

Just an FYI - as you've had to learn with this experience, never leave an unlabeled sample anywhere unattended. Stand there for an hour if you have to. The label should be signed with a witness and placed over the sample with you witnessing the action. As much as it stings to hear, you do bare responsibility to watch out for yourself. If something isn't going right during the process, stop the process until it's fixed. As far as missing the pill count, your attorney should have directed you to it and rescheduled with him.

Good luck.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • What's done is done now. Do you have a good relationship with your GP? I'd go see him & explain everything. Hopefully he can phone around & find a new PM doc to take you on. Follow every rule & build a good relationship with this new doc & hopefully you can put this behind you.
    Rules are rules & if your doc is under investigation he's going to be even more strict to cover his behind!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.