Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So, you hit 40 and everything goes down hill...

AEmedicAAEmedic Posts: 2
edited 10/12/2014 - 2:50 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am in the Air Force and have been for the last 25 years and while I'm sure they will take care of me I'm a bit worried.

A few months ago I started to notice that my lower legs felt like they are slightly asleep with a pins and needle sensation most of the time, more if I have been active recently. My legs have a general feeling of weakness and numbness but it is fairly mild and has not stopped me from doing things, yet.

I have ha chronic pain at the base of my skull, through my neck and into my shoulders for the last few years.

I have had shooting pains down my legs that seem to originate in the lowest portion of my back/hips.

Due to the potential neurology issues, I was sent to see a Neurologist and he had a full gamut of MRI/MRAs done to see what they could see. Here is what shows up in my back:

C3-4 - mild bulge of disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left. Mild left neural foraminal stenosis.
C4-5 - Moderate bulge of disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the left with borderline left ventral hemicord impingement. Mild left neural foraminal stenosis.
Impression: Mild to moderate disc bulging as described. At c4-5, there is borderline ventral left hemicord impingement and borderline stenosis.

T3-4 - Mild left paracentral focal protrusion.
T5-6 - Mild focal midline protrusion.
T6-7 - Moderate focal left paracentral protrusion with left hemicord ventral impingement. The T2 nuclear signal extends to the posterior annular fibers.
T7-8 - Mild paracentral focal posterior protrusion.
Impression: Moderate left paracentral disc herniation T6-7 associated with annular tear and ventral lefts hemicord impingement. Mild focal herniation T3-4, T5-6, and T7-8.

Lumbar Spine:
L2-3 - There is disc height loss at. Anterior vertebral body osteophytes are seen along with associated bulge.
Impression: Spondylosis of the lumbar spine as well as disc bulge and loss or height at L2-L3.

I'm not sure what to think... I'm not sure what to expect...

I turn it over to the educated masses, what do you think?

Moderator Input

No one is qualified nor permitted to provide information on any medical testing. That information , diagnosis and treatment options need to come from them. When is your appointment to go over the imaging results?

• Mod - Honestly I'm not sure...When I went back to the Neurologist we found that the Radiologist did not read the images. Well as it turns out he did but the tech filed them wrong so he had nothing but the images to go on. He basically said nothing stood out to him as being tragic and that he would call me once he had the results read. Well, here they are, I have them and he has yet to get back to me. So I am wondering where this might lead.
  • We all understand how difficult it is to wait for the results.When are you supposed to return to the neurosurgeon?
    The problem with getting someone to offer input is that their information may nor may not be correct, and we have had some offer information in the past that was absolutely incorrect.......so that's why we don't allow interpretations.
    If you have the results, you can call the doctor, and tell them that they are done, and ask for the doctor to call you to discuss them, if the appointment is a few weeks away.
    We also have a glossary of terms that might be helpful to you. I will link it here.

• Like the Moderator said, no one here is qualified or permitted to provide information on medical testing and to be honest, I have no idea of what most of the technical stuff means anyway.

I do know this:

If you are having almost constant numbness and weakness in your legs, something is not right and you need to stay on them until they can figure out what is going on. This is not the type of thing to take lightly or to assume that you can just "man up" and eventually it will resolve on it's own.
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    Geez, you are just beginning to enjoy life
    Savor each day, make the next one better then the one before.
    Dont let pain stand in your way
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. As a back pain sufferer of 17 years, I recognize a lot of the wording, but I don't want to offer any sort of opinion because I'm afraid I would get banned.

I'm just now 40 and have suffered with slipped and herniated discs, stenosis, spondylethesis, stenosis, sciatica, and arthritis there since I was 23. Now I also have degenerating discs in my cervical spine as well.

Please don't do like me and put things off (though I had to due to metal allergies). Push them til they treat you.

And thank you for your service! Hubby is USAF Retired himself.
    17 years avoiding surgery, now it's unavoidable. Scared beyond belief.
  • hutson797hhutson797 Posts: 35
    edited 10/25/2014 - 7:43 AM
    Hey, at least you made it to 40! My pain started at 28.

Just to parrot the comment above. Dont' try to "tough it out". I tried that method. Hopefully didn't lead to permanent damage. Like they said from above stay on top of them until you get answers. It might be a long road, but keep your head up.

I wish you the best of luck