Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post RFA...

DaneMom3DDaneMom3 Posts: 2
edited 10/13/2014 - 1:16 AM in Pain Management
Hello everyone!
I am a 43 yo female with a history of severe Rheumatoid arthritis and Fibromyalgia for the last 11 years. I have been in remission for 3 years and recently (Feb 2014) started having some pretty severe cervical spine pain. Upon rotation my neck feels really "stiff" and painful. Getting a good night's rest is nearly impossible. After seeing my Rheumy in May and verifying that my disease is inactive she referred me to a spinal doc. In June I had my first bilateral facet block of c2-c7...womp, no good. Within 10 days I was back to taking my prescription huge ibuprofen (Duexis) 3x per day. The Dr. scheduled me again for the same thing in August. No go this time as well. Finally they tried the RFA bilaterally on C1-C6 (may be off here)...it's been almost a month and I am back to taking the 3 pills per day. High dose prednisone has been the only thing to give any real relief.
I guess my question is this...what comes next? I will phone my doc's office tomorrow, since they said it could take up to 3 weeks to see any improvement, but what kinds of options to relieve the pain are there??

Thanks to all.
advertisement

Comments

• sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 10/13/2014 - 1:48 AM
    It can take a month or so for things to settle down post RFA procedure. Did you get relief from the test injections ( nerve blocks prior to the RFA)? If you did, then the RFA should bring longer term relief from the pain. In the meantime, ice is your best friend , to reduce swelling, inflammation and pain. 15 minutes on, and then off for half an hour is the recommendation, along with anti inflammatory medications if your doctor allows them.
    A frozen bag of peas or corn works really well for a reusable ice pack, just make sure to write somewhere on the bag not to eat them afterward......