Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bone density 111% (on the average)

yonayyona Posts: 45
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Osteoporosis and Fractures
I have (among other problems) bad pains on both sides of my T8.
Ortho suggested possible fractures in ribs. Bone mapping (the stronstium test) suggested (among other problems) fractures in T8 transvere process.
They say it is a by-product of the prednisone - I am taking for years (against RA, among other meds) - which might cause osteoporosis.

However, my bone density measures rose (because of Fossamax?) from 109% to 111%.
How can this be explain with spinal (or other) fractures caused by osteoporosis?

• Yona , what does your doc say about the results and how the use of the Fossamax plays into it??? :)
  • So far I have spoken with GP & Rheumi & ND.
    Tomorrow I'm doing a CT to see if I do have T8 fracture. When I get the results - I shall meet an Ortho.
    Tomorrow, just before my CT I am seeing a Neuro because of the oains near the T8 ribs and a pain along my left leg which may be sciatica (how do they check this? can CT help diagnose it?).

Prednisone reduces bone density and this could explain osteoporotic fractures.
    Osteoporotic fractures can come 'naturally' with aging.
    Fossamax enhances Calcium absorbance by the bones and should prevent fractures.

The fact that my bone density is really good and yet there might be spine fracture - is against logic.

My only explanation is: Medicine is more of an art than exact science.
    Y.S IL
  • Thank you for all of this info! I hope I get enough Vitamin D! I get it with my calcium daily, and I get out in the sun every day. I heard recently that if you wear sunglasses all the time, your body doesn't absorb enough Vitamin D and it can contribute to depression. Don't know if that is true or not. Does anyone know which is REALLY better--calcium carbonate or calcium citrate?? I hear different things about which is absorbed better. Now I am taking calcium carbonate with D. I wish I had paid more attention to this stuff when I was younger!! (unfortunately MORE wisdom does come with age...)Mazy
  • I appreciate you answers.
    You are a very good teacher take it as a big complement!

I haven't still rewrite my lost post.

Y.S IL
  • Osteoporosis is something I have been diagnosed with as well. My dr has me take Fosamax plus D as she felt it was better than just Fosamax. I also take calcium. I think there is a once yearly drug but I am not sure about this. jade
  • I also sells Actonel. Some of the information that you have been recieving is old and we now know to be inacurate. First, only Fosamax and Actonel have ever been studied in steroid induced osteoporosis. Both are indicated for the treatment of steroid induced osteoporosis, but only Actonel is approved in the US for prevention of steroid induced osteoporosis. Second, hip fractures have been studied with Boniva, in the study used to get Boniva FDA approval, the reduction of nonvertebral fractures with Boniva was similar to placebo and this was consistant across all sites studied including hip (this is taken from the Boniva PI). Third, if your doctor did blood D levels and they were low he will recomend suplimentation. Most likly this will be oral, not a shot, as it is cheaper and easier as well as more available. Only oral is available in the US right now. Fourth, the latest data indicates nearly 25% of patients with a fracture will fracture again within 12 months. According to the American College of Rheumatology Actonel is the only treatment to be shown to work at 12 months. Fosamax took 2 years to reduce fracture. I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.