Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck and back pain causing Depression

KimeryKKimery Posts: 3
edited 10/13/2014 - 5:38 AM in New Member Introductions
I have had 2 neck surgeries on discs 3-4 and 5-6. I have a bone spur again in 5-6 which is severely effecting use of my left arm. I now have 3 herniated discs in my thoracic spine and a collapsed disc at L5 which is pinching the nerve. Can't believe this happened just from moving boxes and furniture. I have been told I am not a candidate for surgery. I was told I should resume my daily life. Pilates was also recommended. After seeing a Rheumatologist he recommended PT and a steroid shot for relief. PT hurt so bad I couldn't function. Walking and sitting were so painful all I did was cry. I had the steroid shot Thursday and am even worse. The numbness in my left leg and foot will not go away. I truly can not do anything. Just sitting here typing is difficult. I have been off on disability since May and fear I will not be able to work again. Sad because I only have a desk job. I am so depressed and struggle daily to remain positive. I don't understand how I am not a candidate for surgery. Resume my daily life? I desperately wish I could! Help please. I don't know what to do anymore.

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/13/2014 - 5:44 AM
    What kind of doctor are you seeing regarding your spine conditions? A rheumotologist is not the best doctor for you to consult regarding surgery. Have you consulted with a board certified spine ortho or neurosurgeon recently?
    If you have, have you considered seeing one at a large teaching /major city hospital near your home? It seems a bit unusual if you have nerve compression effecting a limb that surgery would not be considered?
    A flare up of pain post injection is common and is due to the increased amount of fluids in the area, which should settle down in a few days. In the meantime, ice, applied every hour for 15 minutes helps to ease the swelling and increased inflammation until the steroids kick in and some times anti inflammatory oral medications may also help.
    Flaring of pain during physical therapy is not uncommon, but should improve over time......but if I were you, I would strongly consider seeing another surgeon or two, at a large medical facility to see what they suggest as far as ongoing treatment or surgery.

• fedup100ffedup100 Posts: 46
    edited 10/13/2014 - 6:01 AM
    Sounds like you are having a bad time at the moment hopefully things start to ease for u.I don't really have much advise as I am new to this all.I have a bulging disc at l5 s1 and I have numb feet and siatica its making me depressed too.

I have two young kids and find daily tasks an enormous effort working through the pain.

The only thing that helps me is rest when I'm very sore and when it eases go for short walks.also for me swimming helps a little
  • I saw a neurosurgeon first. He was more concerned that I changed doctors. He said that is a "Red Flag" and basically dismissed me. I explained that he came highly recommended by family members and that I got in to see him sooner than the 6 weeks it would have taken to see my other doctor. I was kind of in shock after that. He recommended the rheumatologist and he fully listened to my symptoms and had an EMG to test the nerves.
  • Hi Kimery. You've been through so much, I can completely understand why you're getting frustrated. Did you ask the neuro for meds? I don't understand his Red-Flag comment at all. Everyone who's considering surgery should get second & third opinions. It's being a smart patient not a red flag. Ugh!! I'd make appointments with a couple of neuros & make it very clear that you just want a second opinion. As previously stated, you have a limb being effected. I have many bone spurs & have never heard of a non-surgical way to stop them compressing nerves.

Best of luck. Sometimes we really need to push for our care. I hope you get the support & info you need from our forums. Reading, writting & connecting with other members has really helped me take control of my pain & (as importantly) my mind. Chronic pain can drag us down to some pretty low places.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.