Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

"Mild" Degenerative Disc?

Hi, it's me, Dapper again.

Last time I posted, no one really seemed to give me any suggestions except to re-paste all the links I was given, despite browsing through the entire site.

It's been about 4 months now, and I'm only 19 years old. I was in severe pain previously, but I'm a lot better now after resting a little bit. Today, I went to an orthopedic doctor, and as he looked at my x-rays from 2 months ago, he said that I have a mild degenerative disc in my lumbar area, due to a pars defect. Dancing is one of my hobbies, and it's really bothersome that my back feels stiff when I stretch, and that I have hip pain. I started physical therapy about a month and a half ago.

Will this pain go away in the next few months? I'm continuing physical therapy, as well as exercising everyday, stretching, and I just now got the confirmation to do some yoga. Honestly, I'm a very active person, so to not dance is a huge bummer.

He did tell me to take it easy and do some core strengthening exercises (which I have looked up through this site), but as time goes on, the condition may get worse.

I've thought about getting PRP therapy some time in the future, despite how expensive it is. Besides that, can anyone tell me their input on what I should expect? Right now, all I have are some aching pains in my back when I stand, and some annoying pain in my left hip when I get up from sitting, and it takes a while for my hip to adjust when I lie down on my back for a bit before settling down. But all I want to know for the moment is if this pain will subside since it's kind of "mild" from what the ortho said.

• Just keep flowing with your PT and exercise regimen. That is the best advice anyone can give you. Pain? Pain has its own agenda so hope for the best but always, always prepare for the worst!
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Sometimes you have to give up the things you love because they may hurt you the most. You know now that your back condition is more then likely only going to get worse. Knowledge is power so if the doctor is telling you to slow down on activities that could do you more harm you should listen. I like to think that our spine is like a machine and by doing repetitive things it does wear out over time. But you can change the way you do things so your spine is in better shape later on down the road.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    So many people continue doing all the things they enjoy and do not let DDD stop them. Granted they need to keep up with an approved exercise program and over the counter NSAIDS.

The fact that you indicated you have MILD DDD, that will make it that much easier.

Will the pain go away in a few months? Not by itself, that where you come into play.

If you want to dance later then make sure you do what is necessary to get there
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • is not a death sentence, nor a disabled sentence.......if the OP is a dancer, the required additional flexibility and practices have likely contributed to his onset of mild ddd, a few years earlier than it might show on others.......so with proper strengthening excercises, some anti inflammatories on those days when it is flaring a bit, ice, and good posture, dancing shouldn't be tabled if his doctor didn't recommend that.
    It may stabilize , given his age, and his care for his body, from this point out and not cause him any more issues for decades if he takes care of his back now.

• Thank you for your responses.

I'm not a dancer. I actually consider it as a hobby, so I've been laying off it until I can get mobility.
    A lot of the doctors say I'm fine, so I'm just going to continue exercise and stretching.

It's really hard to know where my pain is radiating from, honestly. My back feels really stiff when I try to do child pose in my lower back, and my hip hurts along with it too.

Just generally bending over hurts my left hip mostly (sometimes I have sharp pains if I get up from a chair too quick), along with my left glute and most of my left back. I'm just really frustrated because I really want to go to a school out of state, but my mother doesn't want to allow me to until I'm better. And I've even read that sometimes recovery takes up to MONTHS. My pain isn't severe so I believe I could manage on my own, but it is pretty annoying to be unable to do normal things without some pain here and there.
  • and some anti inflammatory medications, stretches, and regular excercise all will help if done regularly......ice or heat may help for the days when things flare and some over the counter muscle and topical creams and heat patches may also help for when things start to flare.........
    I don't see any reason why going to college would be a problem......the more you baby your back and treat it with kid gloves, the more issues you will have in trying to do more....