Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Skin irritation from Aspen collar

Today marks 4 wks since my 4 level ACDF. The collar has rubbed a spot raw on my neck. The NS's RN told me to go get the collar refitted and ask the medical supply place what to do. Has anyone else dealt with skin irritation?

Since I had to wear the collar while waiting for the RN to call back, I used a waterproof transparent dressing and applied antibiotic ointment. The relief was almost immediate!

• I have been in an Aspen Collar for about 1 1/2 weeks and haven't had any problems yet but I still have 10 1/2 weeks to go. LOL!

Where on you neck was the collar rubbing?
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • Pamela9PPamela9 WashingtonPosts: 42
    Collar is rubbing between ear and collar bone, sorta in the middle. Have appointment this afternoon to get it adjusted. lol, it is probably from all the weight I have gained eating ice cream! :-)
    The medical supply company ground down some of the plastic so it is not so high and tight against my jaw line, also cut away some of the bottom where it was irritating my clavicle. Picked up another set of pads while there. Fingers crossed!
  • Hopefully it will work out or at least get you through until it's time to take it off!

Good luck!
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • Hi Psmela,
    My collar is driving me crazy too. The surgical tape was the first problem with my skin. Now the color seems to be too "high" and rubs under my jaw like you said. How did they cut it away? Do you think it's possible to do that at home?
    They "ground " down the hard plastic. Did not see how she did it, but cutting does not sound like a good idea.
    Have you adjusted the jaw piece?