Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please give me some advice - in need of someone to talk to about my recent back problems

Hi everyone,

I'm currently 20 years old, about 5 1/2 months post OP a microdiscectomy. I previously had a herniated disc in my lower back L4/L5, with a pinched nerve that affected my right leg all the way down to my right ankle. The most pain was in my right calf. After the microdiscectomy, I was doing great and moved on with my college life. Recently 2 weeks ago, I developed pain in my lower back and that pain started to shift into my left side. When I go to bed, the pain is really bothering me in my left buttock, but when I wake up, the pain is back up in my low back and is tolerable. Its uncomfortable to sit through all my classes again, which is sad after all my progress. Of course, after going through everything I did this past summer with the surgery, I panicked and assumed it was a reherination. I see my doctor on Friday for his opinion, but I was hoping to hear from you guys. Do you think it could be a reherniated disc? Or maybe something else? It doesn't seem to be acting the same as it did with my previous herniation. I feel like at my age, I would have to do something drastic to reherniate it, but I've been so careful these past few months to protect my back. This is starting to really bring me down and I'm very scared. Would you recommend me getting a second microdiscectomy if its a reherniation? Thanks for your feedback.

No one is qualified to tell you whether this might be a reherniation or not, or if you should have surgery if it is. That needs to be determined by your physician, as well as any need for further surgery.