Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please someone respond - compression

Is there anyone out there has has been living with cord compression and just dealing with it? I am in pt for the pain which is so much better but have intermittent pins and needles in my foot and sometimes hand. I am so scared of surgery yet don't want to be making a horrible mistake by waiting. I have 2 discs that are compressing the cord... Is it possible for these to absorb and no longer compress the cord? If so, how long does that typically take.
I've never been so confused in my life.


  • If there is compression of the spinal cord, the best person to answer your questions regarding postponing surgery or not is your surgeon. If there is compression of the cord, not just contact, it can cause injury to the cord and the nerves contained in the cord if you leave it waiting too long.
    But it is something that you need to discuss with your surgeon because he is in the position of knowing the severity of the compression and the likelihood of damage to the spinal nerves contained in the cord if you don't have surgery.
  • My surgeon said if any numbness returns then surgery is warranted. I currently have pins and needles off and on in my foot but not total numbness. I guess I'm just looking for anyone out there that has cord compression to tell me how long they've been walking around like that.
  • Even if you were to find someone with a similar group of symptoms, it does not mean that you have identical conditions, nor that the treatment recommendations would be the same. That's the problem, what may have been okay for someone else to wait, may not be in your case.....that's why you need to discuss it with YOUR surgeon , and find out what the risks are of not going ahead with surgery now.
  • Like Sandi said, your Dr. (or another Dr. if you're looking for a second opinion) is the only one qualified to consult you on your condition and the pros and cons of how soon to have surgery, if at all. Keep in mind, you need to be honest with them about your symptoms even if you're scared of the results.

    Fear is a very strong motivator and for me, the fear of permanent damage outweighed the fear of having surgery.
    Also, from my personal experience, the thought of having surgery was far worse than the surgery itself.
    CSM = C2-C5 Posterior Laminectomy w/Fusion and Instrumentation
    Surgery Complete 10/4/14
  • We have the same story. I have tingling but no numbness. I was told I don't have to have surgery but if my NS was me he would have it. I scheduled it today but still am not 100% there yet. I don't know what to do.
  • I don't know how long I had it before my diagnosis. I started having neck pain 2.5 to 3 yrs ago. I wasn't diagnosed with the spinal compression until late August and had surgery 2weeks later. The reason that they did surgery was because of the myelopathy. The surgeon had said that the myelopaghy was pretty advanced already. If the issues were not as advanced as they were surgery could have waited.
    Every situation is different. Your doc and you need to be on the same page. If you don't understand the best thing is to have a discussion with your doctor. I know its a lot to take in. Good luck
    Tracie C
Sign In or Register to comment.