Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Want to ride my ATV!!

lynnsyllynnsy Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 20 weeks post-op from a three level fusion, am feeling really good. I get sore from my PT, still have to take about 2 percocets a day, walk 1-1/2 miles a day. But over-all feeling pretty darn good.

We're going camping next week with our big motorhome, so it's not tent camping. Have all the luxuries of home. My problem is our ATV's. We have a couple of "cruizers", hubbies is a 700 Suzuki Kingquad, and mine is a 450 Honda Rubicon, the big ATV's, not the little hotrods. This is something we enjoy very much doing together. I miss it desperately!! I can't even look at my bike without sheading a tear cause of my surgery. We always take them with us camping, and go to a very special area where we fish and ATV to 11,500ft. The wild flowers are one of Gods most beautiful creations, and their everywhere up there. We already live in the beautiful mountains of Colorado, but Tarryall Lake is just our special place. If you all could see where we live, your question would be "why are you going camping". "You're living it everyday".(note the photo in my avatar)

My question is, do you-all think I'd be alright to ride my ATV? There are smooth graded dirt roads around the area, besides the 4x4 roads. I won't go on those as they are pretty rough, but just stay on the graded ones. I won't be jumping creeks, or hot-doggin', I just want to ride my bike with my hubby. I feel so sorry for him cause he's been an absolute angel through these last 20 weeks, and now he's on a real vacation and I don't want to take his fun away. (he took 2 weeks when I had my surgery, that wasn't much of a vacation for him, but he didn't mind taking care of me)

Of course I'm bringing my pain pills, and my huge ice-pack, we have a large refridge in our motorhome. We also bought me a real nice padded reclyner camp chair for fishing. Taking our I-Pod and port station for tunes outside, our portable DVD player to watch movies.

I WANT TO RIDE MY ATV!!! Whatta ya think?

• Call your Doc before going on your camping trip, he might say no way, but it is better than any advice that we can give you. Have fun! ;)
  • I agree with Millie. Only your doc can give that kind of info. I understand the frustration though. Want to get back on dirt-bike so bad that it is almost an obsession.
  • My doc doesn't even want me in a vehicle, and plus a 3 level fusion is a pretty big deal!!!!!!!!!!!! :O My hubby has a Ford Explorer truck very new and drives nice but even going over bumps in that leaves me in pain for a few days if we go for a ride in it! I would seriously ask your doc right away and get his opinion~ best of luckimage
  • I'm so excited, my NS said to stay away from pot-holes and 4 wheelin, stay on the smooth graded roads, cut your "jaunts" short, and you should be fine!!! Right on!!! He also told me I can finally start taking Aleve, Advil, excedrin, etc... So I must be doing pretty good!!! Don't worry guys, I'm going to be overly cautious for-sure. Thanks for caring, you guys are the best!!! :)
  • Very very cool. We used to go and I know what you mean about shedding tear every time you walk by something you miss.

Have Fun and Be Safe- Will you be sporting any kind of brace?

• HI ya,

I was going to say you should be fine lol. I'm 4 months post fusion and back riding the horses and riding the quad bike rounding up the sheep etc. All that hardware in there is strong enough to keep you intact....enjoy your weekend :)
    I'd wear a soft brace (kidney belt) for added support though.

Have fun !!!!
  • HAVE FUN GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
  • Oh asolutely I will wear my brace, no question. I am also going to lay on the floor of our motorhome to do my excersises everyday, walk atleast a mile everyday with my 2 beagles, taking my ice pack, my fishing pole and some beer. I will not take any pain pills the days I plan on having a couple. I think I deserve the cold beverage (and my hubby) after going through this for the last 20 weeks!!! But I am going to be extra careful on my ATV, looking ahead for pot-holes, and staying away from (our favorite) 11,500ft 4x4 road. Which bums me out, it's my favorite. But I will just stay on the graded smooth roads. I can't believe I'm fused enough that my NS is giving me the go-ahead!! I was thinking it would be around October when we go Elk hunting before he would allow me to ride it. So that makes me feel good, I'm definately moving right along for an ol' lady. :)
  • I was just thinking,... I have really come far. It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't even walk, and 100% doped up, went through horrible withdrawals from dilaudid, my PCP and visiting nurse and husband helping me through that. It's been a horrible nightmare of a long road. Now look at me, I get to ride my ATV!!! To everyone out there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel... (I do still have a long ways to go, but I've come so far :) YEAH ME!!!
  • Good for you girl!!!! Be careful!

• That gives me so much hope.....I am only 7 weeks out, and just getting ready to start PT. But maybe if I'ma good girl I can do stuff again soon!!! }:)

Have fun!
  • I was riding my suzuki king quad 700 2 months after level 2 fusion. Take it easy and enjoy your trip.

• I am officially jealous of Lynnsy.

I don't even know the definition of relaxation any longer :( ........

Lynnsy- Please have enough fun and relaxation for me okay?

Some time in a few years when I can actually do something with out lots of pain we are going to have to get together for some of your kind of fun.

Have a blast,

• I envy you as I have to watch my Honda Gold Wing call my name. :(
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi Lynnsy
    We live in similar places, me Sierra Nevada mountains. and have similar hobbies. I just want too remind you that the adjacent discs will be taking up too 3 times more shock absorber work. So don't be hard headed like me and go all out. I took out the next one above (L-3) and had to have it fused a year later. Now I have L-2 & L-1 & T-12 bulging. Now, I'm not saying don't go, I'm saying be very careful and have better judgment than I did!!
    Have Fun,

If your lucky enough to live in the mountains, your lucky enough
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hello,
    My family is into 4 wheelers and dirt bikes and I so miss mine! The day before PLIF we went on a long ride, I hadn't been on it in months and I thought we're doing this I don't care how badly I hurt from it! We had a blast!! Now I want to be back on it. We do the camping thing too with them. We go to Laurel, IN. to Haspin Acres, it is AWESOME! THey have 2 small lakes to fish in and 750 acres of riding, with 2 motocross tracks which my husband and son are into and a drag race area. We usually go up to 10 times in the summer and this summer we're going to miss out. Ugh. I just had my PLIF on June 5 and then another surgery June 17 due to an infection.
    I can't wait to ride again I watch my husband, son and daughter go for rides and I get so jealous. My time will come though!
    Good luck to you and have FUN!!!
  • Hey everybody!!! Just got back from our little 6 day vacation. Had a wonderful time!!! Caught 5 Rainbows, and 1 Pike...Also caught a "buzz". he, he... ATVing went wonderfully. Went out everyday, cause the first day went so well. Wore my brace, sat up straight, drove real cautiously, sometimes like an ol' lady :) But we rode about 5 miles a day. It was incredibly beautiful as usual.

Kinda got scared by driving slow through this one area that we ride through. My hubby carries a 9mm with him though, but it was still scarey. It's this one area thats known for the really large kitty-cats hanging out. But it's pretty rough through there so we had to go really slow because of me. We normally try to go through there pretty fast because we know about the kitties. The bears will just saunter off as they hear our bikes, but kitties don't give a cra*, if their hungry!! So that was pretty spooky.I totally forgot about the deep ruts that go side to side in the dirt roads. Those hurt (twisting my back) more than the bumps, rocks and ruts. Even when you go slow, you still have to twist your body through them, keeping your bike from falling. So that hurt. But when it came to a straight-away, with no ruts or bumps, I'd floor it for a few feet, YIPPY!! It was fun!!! The first time we went out and I was surrounded by the beauty of bowing aspens, pines and wildflowers, I got a little teary eyed. I know, corny... but I never thought I was going to be able to ride my ATV again. It was special....

We'd get back to our motorhome, and I'd lay on ice for about 1/2 hour. My hubby would could dinner, we'd go outside and watch people on the lake, and the sunsets. It was wonderful!! Go down and fish for a little while, (now that hurt sitting for too long, but fun) then come back to the "Polish Land-Yacht" (thats what's on our plates) and watch a movie, then go night-night... Didn't get to see any fireworks, (made our own, he...he..) but their against the law up here where we live and where we went camping. But that was ok. I guess the sunsets were our fireworks...

My butt got sore more than my back, like I'd been riding a horse all day. And my sunburn. But even that was nice since I've been laying around in the house for 21 weeks. If I can figure out how to shrink my pictures, (got some beauties)and figure out how to download them, I want to share with you-all.So everyone, their is a light at the end of this tunnel. Can't wait to e-mail my NS and tell him how great I did, and thank him for letting me go. It did me a world of good!!
  • Lynnsy,
    I am soo jealous too! Colorado sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see the pics. It's great to hear that you did so well, sounds like it was a much needed get away also!
    Tarryall Lake, 11 miles from Jefferson Colorado
  • Lynnsy you are so lucky to be able to do what you love. The pics are beautiful. How awesome that you got to see a cougar (right).

Our bears (alaska) are dangerous- but we don't have any cougars- we have Lynx.

I am very happy for you.

With a cold can of Coors Light. Oh and I'm 52 years old. Sure had fun with my ATV, hubby didn't take any pictures of me on mine. But did just fine, no hot-doggin' just slow easy fun... :)
  • Wow lynnsy...what a testament to getting back your "normal" life. Good for you!

Like your ATV passion, my hubby and I have our boating passion. This is something we do together and we love it. I wasn't allowed in the boat at all last summer and it was awful. I was very good, sucked it up, behaved myself and didn't ride in the boat...well.....tried it once and it hurt, so that was the end of it. This year I've been in the boat twice and at 50 mph with no problem, no pain. However, I'm a bit scared of those unsuspecting waves that could pop up out of nowhere. Anyway, we're meeting with our boating frieds this weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. Although I may only be able to enjoy the 100 mph runs and the drags from the dock, at least I'll be able to do some boating this year.

• Hey Patricia, wow, you're into that awesome race boating stuff!!! We love watching it on TV, very exciting stuff!! We too owned boats our whole marriage, up until about 2 years ago. After we bought our home here in the mountains in Colorado, there's very few lakes that allowed boats with our 175 merc. outboard up here., (no wakes, no large gas engines, protecting the enviornment) so we were'nt using it enough to justify the payments. We have 3 ft. of snow laying on the ground all the time through about 7 months out of a year. So we sold it. We love fishing so had a 30' Monark fishing boat. (That was our 3rd boat). Thus the ATV's came into our lives. :)

We still have our friends who have boats, but like you, I don't know if my back would be able to handle the wakes or not. But we love watching the speed boats on tv.

But ya, I wasn't expecting to ride my ATV so soon, and was really bummed out about it. I guess it really wasn't that "soon", as I wasn't given the go ahead by my NS until I was 21 weeks post-op, and then "strict" orders came with it. Which I wasn't going to "hot-dog" anyway, scared to death still to hurt my 3 level fusion. Don't want to go through this EVER AGAIN!!!

Like I said, I kinda got teary eyed a few times on our little "Stay Vacation" (as they call it now, due to the economy) It was a well deserved little get-away for both my hubby and me. Not to mention, a little celebration of coming so far after going through absolute hell. ;)
  • Yeah, boating season isn't very long here in Canada either. We live only 5-10 minutes from our local boat launch. So, before my surgery we were on the lake every weekend. Last year it wasn't as much and then hubby blew the motor near the end of the season. We had a 280 merc, but of course this year's new motor had to be bigger...supposed to be over 350 hp. That big black motor makes the boat look like a piece of plywood...LOL!

We all have to get our lives back and sometimes it requires modification. I keep exercising hoping that the stronger my back & neck get the better chance I have of never having to go through that again either!

• I think that is, and was the hardest part of this thing for me, was a "changing life style". I'm absolutely NOT one to lay around, watch TV and eat Bon-bons!! I'm a go-getter, outdoorsy, and very active for a 52 year old. I've cried many tears trying to accept this change, until one day, I just realized, I'm still me, it's just that I've had to change my lifestyle. I know my limits, that's for sure. And I absolutely "baby" myself when in pain. I just remind myself about 20 times a day "no, you can't do it". I've cried on my husbands shoulder many many times, as he would be helping me out of the shower, or helping me to walk, apoligizing for not being able to do things the way I use to, WISHING I COULD, so bad. He totally understands, and is very sympathetic and understanding. He's been with me every step of the way though, and continues to be my biggest support system.

But I'm trying really hard to accept these changes, but you just can't take the mountain out of the girl.!! You know what I really miss? Dancing! I'll just out of the blue when I hear a good tune, just start dancing, no matter where I am or what I'm doing. It's really hard to dance without a little "twisting" being involved. And after 21 weeks post-op, I still can't twist. So I miss dancing.

That's why I kinda teared up riding my ATV,....it was so great doing something I adore, even though I was slow, it was better than not. Just listening to the rain hitting the top of our motorhome, laying in our bed while camping, and watching a DVD together, eating popcorn and ice-cream was wonderful!! My husband so deserved it after what he's been through with me.

I have asked God to help me realize that "my life has just slowed down".
  • You're only 5 months post-op? You've got lots of time to improve yet. Don't accept where you're at today as the end of the road...keep active and exercise. I found a combination of yoga & pilates to be wonderful in regaining my strength. (btw - I never did that type of exercise before.) I am over a year post-op and still seeing improvements.

I can certainly understand how you feel. I had my crying spells too. Even broke down at my pilates class once because I just couldn't do anything that required balance. It was so not me.

Dancing! I love it too! At Christmas we went to a dance and I found that I couldn't keep any rhythm. So very strange and discouraging. But just last month I was at a dance and it all came back. I guess I just needed more time to get the nerves and coordination back in order. My neck & shoulder got sore before the night was over which was a bit disappointing, but I figured it was just more than what I was used to...for the time being.

btw - you look great for 52!!! I'm 43 now and really trying hard not to be my age. This weekend there will probably be the usual 20 year old "fluff" hanging out with the boys and their boats. Tough competition for a gal my age but I'm up for it!!! :D
  • Yea, I know I've got a long ways to go (still), but I just couldn't beleive that my NS gave me the go-ahead to ride my ATV. It was wonderful!!!

My PT is going to start me on Pilates too. Looking forward to it. But don't worry, I'm not taking anything for granted and absolutely understand that I still have a long way to go, I feel it everyday, and know my limits. I just never expected to be doing what I AM doing at 21 weeks. For a long time there, I thought there was absolutely no hope. But it's coming....just ver, very slowly... :)