Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ddd and age

So I had an mri amd it showed mild ddd in my lumbar and im 30, well in a month. That being said, the doctor wasnt concerned really, he said with my athletic backround and lifestyle its normal. I dont have any pain really, just a mild nagging feeling at times. So my question is, would most people in there 30s or late 20's have disc degeneration or minor bulges, even if they dont have have typical symptoms if they had an mri?

Just some backround..I had an mri on my c spine and doctors decided to scan my lumbar as well. C spine showed herniated disc with spinal compression......think I need a fusion.
Blake baxter

• The answer to your question is yes.........the majority of people over the age of 21 or so, are going to show some form of DDD. The term simply means that the discs loose some tiny amounts of their hydration over decades, and as a result , loose a tiny bit of their height, and circumference over those decades.
    The term DDD is a misnomer, in that it sounds like a degenerative disease, that is serious, but in most cases, it is not. Degenerative in this situation simply means that it is a naturally occuring biological process.....

• I am 22 and was diagnosed with DDD in my thoracic spine from t9-10 and t10-11 at 19. DDD is already very uncommon but especially at my age. A month ago i had an outrageous bout of low back pain that knocked me out of work for a week. i struggled with low back pain for about 10 years now from playing sports, but nothing like i experienced recently. From this spell of pain, it was confirmed that i also have a degenerative disc from l5-s1 that is coupled with slight protrusion of that disc as well as osteoarthritis from l4-s1.

DDD has no age limit. while yes it is more common as you get older, it can come on at any time.. especially if you were extremely active or in a traumatic car wreck. as for me... my doctor told me this was going to happen to me regardless of what I did growing up. Sometimes its just bad luck :/