Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

8 Days after L5 S1 decompression...rough times.

NG2112NNG2112 Posts: 3
edited 10/17/2014 - 2:33 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi! I am Nick and I am 22 years old. I'm new here but unfortunately not so new to pain. Starting back in 2011 I began feeling pain in my back occasionally at work, it became more frequent and progressed lower and lower until about 8 months ago when it moved into my foot and the pain was there every move my body made.

Around June of this year, the pain became unbearable to where I could no longer work, no longer live any sort of lifestyle, just stand or lay down. After a misdiagnosis from a physical therapist, a lack of diagnosis by a poor othopedic specialist, I was finally correctly diagnosed by another specialist. The diagnosis was a severely herniated disc at my L5/S1 level (left side). I met with a wonderful surgeon in the beginning of September and scheduled my surgery.

I had surgery on Oct 8. Everything went well. I stayed the night in the hospital and was up walking around that same night and going to the bathroom on my own. I forgot that I could feel that good!

Well, I was released and everything was going well until day 4 post. I was laying in bed, on my back as directed, and had to cough. I did so twice and instantly became worried. The pain that I used to experience whenever I coughed, sneezed, or laughed was back. Since then I have been in the same type of pain I was in before. It is not as severe and I do not get the pain when I stand up or sit down like I used to.. I'm severely anxious about the pain and discouraged that it is back to how it was before. I called my doctor and he said that it could be just inflammation of the nerve and not the disc and he would see me next friday for my 2 week(+2 day) check up. I'm taking Aleve for the pain but that doesn't seem to be helping at all. I am going to try switching to more Advil each day instead of Aleve twice a day to help in case it really is just inflammation.

Has anyone had it where an action caused the pain to come back for days? If so, was it due to inflammation or was it a more serious issue?


  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/17/2014 - 3:28 PM
    Welcome to Spine-Health. It could be that the sneezing/coughing irritated your back , since you just had surgery. It could also be that there is something else going on as well. Hopefully, after a few days, the pain will subside, and you will continue to improve......recovery from spine surgery is full of peaks and valleys, and seeming set backs from time to time, but we will hope that nothing is wrong and you will soon be steadily improving.
  • I had a 3 level ACDF surgery on 9/11. About 2.5 weeks after surgery I stupidly plopped down on my sofa and it felt like 2 things in my neck banged into each other. Hard to explain, but after that I had terrible pain in the side of my neck. What followed was 3 of the most anxious days of my life, because I figured I re-injured myself and was too nervous to call the dr. office. By day 4/5 it was feeling much better and I've since seen the dr. and had X-ray, and everything is fine. Hopefully you're situation will turn out the same. Good luck!!
Sign In or Register to comment.