Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Felt like I'd slept on a marble-burning thoracic spot-rib pain

AlwayshopeAAlwayshope Posts: 4
edited 10/20/2014 - 4:01 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I've spun around this site for years, it's fantastic and is always my first port of call.
Unfortunately I've got lost in research, YouTube , Dr Google, Doctors, Chiropractor's, PT's and
Trigger points. As well that I'm lost with regard to pain meds the Doctors I've been in contact with have
prescribed meds over the phone. In fact if I wanted to start a mini pharmacy I could do so.
I had a couple of minor car accidnts which resulted in whiplash which has probably led to the degeneration in my neck, seen on MRI
Eleven years ago I herniated L4/5 whilst in labour. This has led to degeneration and flattening
But no nerve root compromise. I've attended chiropractors, exercised regular been careful with my backcare.
I had a further incident four years ago with lower back, cleared within two weeks.
General low back soreness and stiffness all the time. Heat helps. Two years ago I woke up convinced
I'd slept on a button or marble as there was a very specific point in my upper back that felt it was on fire
PT said upper back was compensating for lower. Very fortunate to have MRI done-
Nothing extraordinary appeared.
However things have degenerated rapidly in the last year with the burning hotspot a regular thing. I now have lower rib pain which honestly started with me thinking I'd been laughing too hard as its over that area - its just horrible and there all the time, and recurrent back spasms mostly on the left flank which take a week to clear Stiffness has also spread to my upper outside thighs within the last couple of weeks so I'm having a good look at the dermatone chart
In my quest to educate myself I believe, this hotspot of pain is sending referred pain around the ribs thereby unsettling the nerves leading to the muscle, equalling a spasm. If there's nothing much mechanical wrong it must be nerves.
I take robaxin but not sure if its safe to take every day in a low dose and acetaminophen. I had another MRI which said mild thoracic disc degeneration but it didn't say which ones, should it have?
I have been given 8 sessions of Pt, again, and then the recommendation was injections, they don't seem to have a great success when I read through experiences here? but may work ok as I have such a sensitive stomach.
I'm in grave danger of losing my job, which I've only Just started. I exercise on good days, stretch when I can, walk when I can, eat a good diet and think I'm pretty well clued up on things but this whole area is so vast. I have pain every day and can't get past co codamol with the doc which in turn leads to horrendous constipation even with 'stomach protectors' which leads to piles (apologies). I've looked at lidocaine patches but I wonder am I bad enough? I feel it! I spend an awful lot of time on the floor, even in work when I can! Are there strong painkillers that can be applied topically? I'm off work today again due to a massive spasm so I'm spending the time clueing myself up for the Docs phonecall tomorrow.
It all seems so complicated ( to me)

Moderator Input
No one is qualified nor permitted to offer a diagnosis based on your symptoms. The best advice we can give you is to see your doctor for evaluation and diagnosis