Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In pain since 2005, out of ideas...

Birdman157BBirdman157 Posts: 1
edited 10/20/2014 - 3:34 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello everyone, this is my very first topic and post. I am hoping someone on here can point me in a direction I haven't went. So here's the back story.

In 2004 I was rear ended by two drunk drivers about 3 seconds apart from each other. These two girls were racing home from the bar. The first girl hit me and our cars were stuck together, her friend then hit her which dislodged our cars. I was the one driving and had a good grip on the steering wheel when it happened cause she tried hitting her brakes which I heard and looked in my mirror and seen I was about to get hit so I tensed up. The police indicated from the skid marks she was going around 90mph when she hit me.

I was in pain after the accident but it didn't start to get bad till a little over a year after the accident. So we will say since about 2005 I have been dealing with chronic pain day in and day out. I have had countless x-rays and mri's trying to figure out what is causing me to still be in pain. Nobody can seem to figure it out though. I have bulged and herniated discs, DDD, and arthritis in my lower back but every doctor I have seen says that that won't cause the pain I describe and just send me on my way with no help or relief.

Here is a list of everything i have tried to "fix" my problem. I have done three rounds of physical therapy, two land and one aquatic. I have had facet injections as well as an epidural injection. I have also done chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, and spinal decompression.

I no longer do any of the sports or activities I used to do because it agrivates my pain and makes it worse. Laying down gives some relief but only to a point, long periods of laying down cause me to be in pain as well which makes sleeping difficult and sometimes non-existent. The only way I get and type of relief in order to function is by taking pain killers which doctors won't prescribe me. They say I am too young to be in that amount of pain and that I will just become addicted to them. I am forced to buy my medicine off the streets or suffer and needless to say I am tired of suffering every day.

So I guess my purpose for writing all of this is to ask what I should do next or what can I tell a doctor so that he will actually help me instead of just sending me on my way. I appreciate any help you guys can provide as I am at my whits end and can't take this much longer.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • and honestly , you aren't forced to buy drugs on the streets. That is the choice that you made to do so.
    There are many ways of treating pain, and if the imaging isn't showing the cause of the pain you are describing perhaps, the findings on the imaging aren't significant enough to be causing the pain you are describing.
    When you say that you have tried three rounds of physical therapy? How long was each round? You say you have done accupuncture, massage, and chiropractic care, but how long have you had each one? One epidural may not offer relief, but there are other types of injections that might have more benefit. Have you continued to do the excercises and stretches shown to you during each round? Do you get regular excercise, walk , several times per day for excercise? Do yoga, or pilates to strengthen the muscles and strengthen your core?
    Arthritis is best treated with the use of anti inflammatory medications, which help to ease the swelling and inflammation . Ice, heat, swimming, massage, TENS, more injections, and other modalities can all contribute to easing pain.
    There are nerve pain medications if there are signs of nerve compression.
    Have you consulted with a board certified spine surgeon to determine what might be going on? Who have you seen as far as doctors to find out what may or may not be causing the pain.
    What pain levels are you talking about?
    The worst thing that you can do for someone with spine pain is to become inactive, and lay around, without regular stretching and excercise. All that does is weaken the muscles supporting the spine, and cause more pain, from the inactivity, and decrease endurance and fatigue.
    Doctors don't just give out pain medications these days without the imaging to support what the patient is describing. They can not just take your word for it.
    When was the last imaging done ? What other testing have you had done to determine what might be causing the pain? What type of imaging was done?