Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

20 year old with L5S1 Disc Bulge

mleigh21mmleigh21 Posts: 1
edited 10/20/2014 - 2:38 PM in Lower Back Pain
I had an MRI in September and I'm waiting on my appointment with my Neurosurgeon. The orthopedic surgeon recommended Steroid injections to the Lumbar, or a Microdiscectomy. The MRI report read:
L4/5: Disk desiccation with broad-based disk bulge and central/left paracentral disk protrusion with flattening of the anterior thecal sac.
L5/S1: Mild disk space loss.

I have tried physical therapy, and had to stop it due to the pain. I have constant pain in my left leg that radiates all the way down to my ankle. It's sharp, constant, and gets numb. My right leg is now starting to do that.

I'd like to avoid surgery. What are thoughts on an inversion table? Or other alternatives? I do not want to go through with the steroid injections.

Moderator input.
No one is qualified or permitted to advise you on your imaging test results. Seeing a spine surgeon most often does not result in someone needing surgery, in fact, more often than not, the patients are sent to physical therapy or pain management for more conservative treatment before any surgery is considered.

• I am also 20 years old and have a herniated disc at l5 s1. Hot baths have helped me and also a TENS unit have helped to give me some relief. I have never used an inversion table. But I have heard from others that if gives them about 2 weeks of pain relief after using it. I pray you find some relief and a good treatment plan soon!!!!
    L5-S1 Emergency PLIF Revision May 26th 2015
    L5-S1 PLIF May 22nd 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Feb 27th 2015.
    L5-S1 Discectomy Oct 30th 2014.
  • should not be allowed until you have consulted with a surgeon to make sure that the risks are minimal to further injury.
    If you have nerve compression or signs of nerve involvement, inversion is not going to resolve that.
    Injections are done for a multitude of reasons, including reducing inflammation and irritation around the spine.
    Many people get them and find that they get relief from the pain they are having.
    A disc bulge is not the same as a herniation and treatment should be based on each person's conditions after consulting their doctors.