Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help!! Hand, leg, foot & back pain...

twinsmama75ttwinsmama75 Posts: 1
edited 10/21/2014 - 4:20 PM in Lower Back Pain
I seriously am at my wits end with my back & the pain I've been dealing with for 20+ years!

I have a couple bad falls when I was 14 and developed spondylolisthesis. It was sudden onset, severe, crippling pain that shot into my legs and feet. I had a bone graft fusion of l-4 to s-1. They couldn't correct the slippage, which was a grade 4, so they didn't put any hardware in, just the bone graft. Body cast, back brace, etc. etc.

I have dealt with pain from my back ever since, but the surgery did help a lot. I made it through, with great difficulty, 3 pregnancies, one being twins. Now I am 38 and I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this.

Walking can sometimes cause such pain in the crease of my side/back/above my hip bone that I have to sit on the ground and hug my knees to my chest to stop the pain. My feet feel like they are on fire, my legs are so sensitive that I can't handle them being touched other than very lightly. I wake up with terrible foot & leg pain & when I stand it feels like I am standing barefoot on sharp rocks. Within the last year or 2 my hands and forearms started hurting, especially at night when I am laying down, but more recently they just hurt most of the time.

I finally bit the bullet, got an MRI & saw my surgeon, who doesn't even remember me at this point. Here are the doctor's findings:

HYPER knee reflex
ZERO Achilles reflex
Nerve damage on the bottom outer part of my foot (didn't feel the prickly side of the pin)
Extremely sensitive legs
Sharp pains in my feet
Sharp pains in my hands
middle & lower back pain
some minor upper back pain

Lumbar MRI findings w/o contrast:
no stenosis
no herniation

Sooooooo, my doctor says the MRI doesn't show anything, have a nice life (basically).

What do I do now? I don't want to take narcotics because I had a horrible time getting off of them when I was younger & we have major addiction problems in my family. I am so used to pain that I am afraid to mask it with drugs because I KNOW I will not be able deal with it when I have to eventually quit them. I just want to know what is going on!! I want it to be fixed so I can enjoy my kids while they are little and go for walks & not be in pain 24/7. I need to lose some weight, I'm not terribly overweight, but even walking is painful...

Do I call my doc and ask for an MRI higher up to see if the hand pain is from some other area of my spine? Do I start over with a different doc? Do I see a pain management doc?

I'm getting very depressed over this & don't know where to turn :(