Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 week update - post microdiscectomy

AKguyAAKguy Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey all,

Thought I would give an update. I know when I first discovered this site I looked at these type of messages to see what type of outcomes people had, since I was very nervous about having back surgery of any kind.

Brief background, I've had significant leg pain, cramping and numbness continuously since October or November 2006. Had at least one similar episode of leg pain in the past, that in hindsight was also disc related. At the time I just attributed it to muscle strain or hamstring trouble. And I've had foot pain and numbness for years that was diagnosed variously as Morton's neuroma and bursitis, but again it is likely to be disc related.

MRI confirmed a very large herniation at L5/S1 and did conservative treatment for more than a year. The first ESI helped a bit, as did subsequent ones, but they never stopped the pain, only dulled it. The first one had the most effect, with diminishing returns later. PT also helped some. Met with a surgeon in April 2007, but since I was (slowly) getting better, not worse, he didn't consider me a surgical candidate.

Earlier this year I "overdid" and had a major relapse of pain. This time surgeon recommended a microdiscectomy and I realized that conservative treatment wasn't going to fix my problems. And a second MRI in April confirmed that the herniation had not shrunk, and if anything was moving more into the narrow foramen where the nerve root lies. So things definately were getting worse, not better.

Had the surgery on May 19. Was going to be a couple weeks earlier, but I came down with a sinus infection days before surgery and it was postponed (that was frustrating).

Surgeon said it went pretty well, but there was a lot of scar tissue around the nerve (as he already suspected). Given the size of the herniation (he said it was a large tear with fraying of the annulus), I have a higher than average risk of re-herniation, so I'm trying to be really careful.

Following the surgery, virtually all my leg pain is gone, but I still have much of the foot pain and numbness when I walk. Every once in a while I'll get an electrical "zing" down my leg that tells me to back off what I'm doing.

Back to work at week 6 (last week), half time. Only made it 3.5 hours the first two days, and my sitting tolerance still is really low. Some people go back to work sooner, but given the size of the tear and amount of healing needed, my surgeon wanted to be pretty conservative.

Started PT last week as well. They mainly have me doing a pool program (water walking with specific arm movements) and some other home exercises for core strengthening.

I guess that's about it. While everyone's situation differs, I'm glad I had the surgery and even with my significant issues, I've gotten a lot of pain relief out of it.

• Hi AKguy,

I am glad to hear that you are recoveing well enough ;)

I wanted to find out who your OS was. I think you PM'd me on the old board but I deleted it.

It seems I may need a second opionion from my insurance company and I am thinking about seeing your guy.

• I am 4wks post-op from a micro-d and they did some other things with making a opening larger for the nerve to pass through.
    I was so upset about my lack of progress (so I thought) until after the good folks on this board assured me that this type of surgery is pretty invasive and takes time to heal the nerves.
    It seems like each week I am getting a new sensation, this week along with swelling at incsion I am having tailbone pain. I got a doughnut to sit on and that helps.
    thanks for giving the board an update.
  • bobbisox, we are all so different, I don't think there is a good standard by which to measure progress. I read some posts about people walking 3 miles a day shortly after the same surgery I had, and wonder if I'm behind the recovery curve. But of course I had a really large herniation, so I have to keep telling myself to be happy with the progress I've seen thus far. I was also reassured by my PT last week that I'm at where I should be following the surgery, so that helps.

The swelling at the incision is something you might want to keep an eye on, to be sure it isn't an infection? Your surgeon could shed light on what to be concerned with, and what is normal. My surgical site never really swelled up much, that I know. Seems it healed up really well.

PS: Julie A ... I will PM my surgeon's name to you. I doubt it is kosher to name names on the message boards.