Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help? Surgeon won't prescribe me pain medication

Melissa0309MMelissa0309 Posts: 2
edited 10/24/2014 - 3:33 AM in Pain Management
Hello my name is Melissa and I'm really hoping someone in here can help me!!
Here goes nothing...

Good evening
I am emailing you because I have a question/concern. I am scheduled to have three of my wisdom teeth extracted on Tuesday, October 28, when I first met with EDITED Oral Surgery Dr. EDIT. & his nurse to schedule my surgery they informed me that since my back surgeon has already been prescribing me pain medication which is Vicodin for my back that they will not prescribe me any pain medication after my oral surgery & instructed me to just take the pain medication my back surgeon is prescribing me. Although I think that may be illegal? See I am disabled and I had two failed back surgeries in the past two years so I take pain medication for my back. I take it as it has been prescribed which is up to six a day, but if I take it for my oral surgery then I'm going to exceed the amount I'm allowed to take per day. My pain medication is for my back only therefore I do not understand how they can tell me just to take that. Is this legal can they actually have me take medication that was prescribed to me by a different provider for a completely different medical issue? I don't feel comfortable doing that because I follow my prescription directions exactly how they're written. It would also put me in a position where I will not have the correct amount of medication to get me through the month. Is there anything I can do about this? I have to have the surgery on the 28th and I cannot postpone it any longer. I just feel what my oral surgeon is doing is wrong. I understand my oral surgeon will not be able to prescribe me the same medication because insurance will not let it go through but aren't they obligated to give me the best medical care they can provide? I am aware there are other payment occasions I can take instead of taking my own prescription meant for a different medical issue.
If this is not the correct place to voice my concern/question please direct me to the correct place

Thank you

Melissa Carey

Doctor's name removed as it is not permitted
Post Edited by Liz

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 10/23/2014 - 8:57 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • If you're prescribed six Vicodin a day, shouldn't this cover your back pain and whatever pain you have from the extraction? I don't see how you would come up short on your pills if you take one q 4 hours. Your pain doctor would maybe increase your dosing, but probably the oral surgeon doesn't want to double dose you. Good luck.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • You need to call your pm doctor and ask him what to do. You are not supposed to use medications prescribed for your back, for other medical conditions. He can call the oral surgeon and discuss what needs to be done for you, prior to your oral surgery.
    Whatever you do, call the pm doctor first, and arrange/find out what you should do for medication and pain after the oral surgery, then the pm's office can call the oral surgeon and explain to them what should occur.

• I had shoulder surgery last year to repair a torn rotator cuff and a detached biceps muscle. My Orthopedic Surgeon did not give me any pain medication following my surgery because I already take Oxycodone for my back. I contacted my PM Doctor and he asked me to first see if my current meds provided enough pain relief before we decide to add anything on top of it. I did experience an increased amount of discomfort for about 2 or 3 days but found I was able to ride it out. My advice is to contact your PM Doctor to see what he/she would like to do. Your Oral Surgeon is not doing anything legal.

• Greg1978GGreg1978 Posts: 28
    edited 10/25/2014 - 8:54 AM
    I had a cysts removed from my upper back last year. That doctor saw on my file I'm taking Oxycodone so he persribed me a weeks worth. On my next doctor appt which was a prescription refill first thing I told my doc was he persribed me more pain meds. My primary doctor knew about the procedure because he's the one that sent the referral. He just asked if I have taken them all and I said no so he wrote me a script for 3 weeks worth of pain meds instead of the full month. I got more grief from the pharmacist then my doc I have been seeing my doctor every month sometimes twice a month since 08 so we have it's Established a really good relationship and I also go to the same place to fill my script so they know me by name. I'm just a family guy with a bad back trying to live a functional good Quality life some what pain free.
  • PM/doctor states. Many of them state in no uncertain terms that if you are having dental or other procedures, that you must notify the PM doctor ahead of time, to discuss any additional pain medications needs. Some want to be the ONLY doctor writing pain medications, except in medical emergencies, and even then, may require that you call the service right away before filling any prescription. Others allow dentists or doctors in emergencies to give you a prescription for pain medications. It is up to the patient to find out which way they are suposed to handle things like this ahead of time......
    Anytime that I have had dental procedures, I have contacted my pm's office and asked them what to do regarding additional pain needs, and they have called my dentist and okayed any additional meds.....or written them themselves.
  • Six vicodin is already much more than I am taking for my spinal fusion I had under ten days ago. And even I have up to a two month tolerance of painkillers from prior prescriptions. I think you will be fine.
  • There is no such creature as pain free when living with chronic pain.......Pain free only happens to those who have not had spine inury or surgery.. Having a realistic goal of a level of pain that we can live within is our best plan.....I live with a certain level of pain every day, all day, no matter what......and I can function as well as I can within that level, once it gets above it , is when things get a lot more difficult for me.
  • People who take pain meds on the regular need a pain management doc. Change in tolerance occurs and people do overdose. So you should be thankful your oral surgeon is defaulting to your other provider on pain control. Let your regular doc know what you are getting done and ask him to help or refer you to pain management.