Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rotary Spondylolisthesis - any information gratefully accepted

masterzorgemmasterzorge Posts: 4
edited 10/25/2014 - 2:53 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been searching without luck for any info on Rotary Spondylolisthesis and would like to hear from anyone with experience who may be able to help or even a professional with interest . I have only found a sparse few mentions of it and they say its a rare condition, nought else.
On my MRI images the lower facet joints are badly damaged, especially the left side. This was due to a very high impact after dismounting a motorcycle suddenly at 70+ mph, although I have been diagnosed Grade 2 Spondylolisthesis I am concerned to the fact that the L5 vertebrae has twisted sideways and is also on a slant. This is not mentioned in the report as well as other damages such as a fracture to the pedicles of which the consultant when questioned agreed but stated the fracture is "stable" I am awaiting a reply to my question regards the side slippage. Just builds confidence doesn't it??
Just to give an idea, last week I had facet joint injections and the consultant could not do the lower joints as he couldn't locate them.
I may be worrying unnecessarily about it being the rare Rotary Spondy, but it would explain a few things such as why my upper body is visually sideways to my lower half, why I cannot sit twisted to the right hand side without putting myself in agony for a few weeks, find it a lot harder bending to that side, as well as a few other issues that lead me to that conclusion.
Anyhow, any information would be gratefully received.

Moderator Input

I think you mean RETROLISTHESIS........retrolisthesis is very similar to spondylolysthesis , except that the direction of the slippage is reversed....spondylolysthesis is a forward slippage and retro is to the posterior of the body.

• The report letter reads "a small Retrolisthesis on L4 and L5 and a Spondylolisthesis on L5 and S1 Grade 2. This is causing outlet issues for his L4,5 and S1 nerve root bilaterally to varying degrees".

To correct any misunderstanding, I do not mean movement of the vertebrae to the front or the rear as usually occurs but sideways or twisting around, a rotary action.
  • We can not provide any information on an MRI report. It is against the forum rules.
    Have you consulted your surgeon or are you basing your questions on what you are seeing in the report/images?
    Unfortunately, you are going to have to wait until you see the surgeon again and can discuss the images and reports with them , face to face.
  • I am after information i.e. where to look online as I cannot find much, just thought a forum would be the best place to find other who may have had similar.
    Sorry if I'm mistaken to the nature of the forums.
    I'm not under a surgeon yet just the pain clinic although suspect that is the next stop. The consultant I'm under basically said that the surgeons there would want my decision near enough immediately and how busy they were so I want to do as much possible research prior to seeing them.
    I'll try some other forums.
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/25/2014 - 11:25 AM
    I did a bit of research, and found that the condition is actually called rotary scoliosis........you may have far more luck using that terminology as part of your search than you will using rotary spondylolysthesis.
    This might help get you started.......
  • Click on the inbox under forum tools to locate your inbox.