Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Microdiscectomy Both Sides at Once?

I injured my back back in January and have suffered chronic right side gluteal / leg pain ever since. It ranges from 4/10 to 9/10. I bulged right side L4 L5 and had a microdiscectomy 4 month ago at this level. The pain still exists on my right side.

My neurosurgeon is now looking at the L5 S1 level. My latest MRI now shows a bulge on the left side L5 S1 but all of my symptoms are still on my right side. There is a very small herniation on the right side, but nothing major.

Ive read that left side bulges can cause right side symptoms but my neurosurgeon doesnt think so and is considering doing another microdiscectomy on the right side. Im terrified that it wont work as there isnt much there on the MRI.

Is it possible for them to do the microdiscectomy on both sides of L5 S1 in the same surgery? At least that way i know that nothing has been missed.

Id love to hear from anyone who knows about this.