Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

l5 s1 microdiscectomy questions.

moedelphmoedelph Posts: 5
edited 10/25/2014 - 6:18 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone if you're reading this. Please read my last post to see how I ended up with a l5 s1 Microdiscectomy surgery.

I have questions regarding it.

I'm one week & a day post surgery. Today is 10/25/2014 I had it at 10/17/2014 & took about 2 hrs. Anyways before surgery I wasn't having ANY back pain. But CONSTANT 24/7 SHARP PAIN FROM UNDER MY LEFT BUTTCHEEK DOWN TO MY ANKLE. . & IN THE MORNINGS I COULDN'T WALK BECAUSE IT WAS SO STIFF AND HORRIBLE PAIN.

Now after surgery I have no leg pain like that thank you Jesus, but I'm concerned. My left leg that was giving me problems feels tight, and my ankle feels sorta week. But no sharp pain like before thank you Jesus. I'm scared my pain is coming back? I'm walking alot like I'm supposed to be but I'm not over doing it. But basically my leg feels as if it needs to be strengthen & loose because it feels tight. I just really hope my leg pain isn't coming back. I see my Surgeon 10/31/2014. But how many of you guys had what I have, & have had complete success but some leg pain come back? Or complete failure? Or is it just the nerve going back to normal? I had this pain before surgery for a god 4 months. So as long as the pain i was having doesn't come back (knock on wood) I guess I'll be fine. it's just when I walk I feel like my leg is tight or as if it just got done stretching or needs to be stretched. No pain asscociated.

SN: I'm still on my norcos , I'm taking 10-325 mg Hydrocodone & Dizapam 5mg.

when I wake up my pain now is like a 4 maybe a 3 wout them but I'm still taking them.
monique m delph

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 10/25/2014 - 6:24 AM
    surgery and flare ups of pain are common and expected as you recover. It is perfectly normal for the pain to flare and then recede as time goes on. As long as you are following the post op restrictions and limitations, use ice for the flare ups and walk as prescribed, it is nothing to be overly concerned about.
  • moedelphmoedelph Posts: 5
    edited 10/25/2014 - 10:05 AM
    @sandi THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS ANSWER. I just wouldn't wish the leg pain i had on anyone! lol I'm just paranoid i guess because the whole reason for this surgery was for relief from my leg & my leg has been acting up again.
    monique m delph
  • even after the compression /impingement is removed........it's almost as if they are put to sleep, then suddenly wake up, screaming as if they were an infant that hasn't been fed.......they are angry from the compression, then the sudden return of blood flow and nutrients, then the surgery itself......so it can take a bit to settle down.
    If it continues to be bothersome, talk to your surgeon about possibly using one of the neuropathic pain medications to see if that offers some relief while the nerves recover.
  • Thanks! I'm just a worry wart. However my bandages have been clean since day one, & the past two days they're like not bloody but sorta like a tinted orangeish very faint color on them. After I change my bandage i use gauze to see if it's bleeding or wet, & it's not? Its not hurting? The stuff doesn't smell, & it's not blood? what could it be? Could it be from sweat & moisture? My discharge instructions said I can shower Monday 10/27/2014 normal so does that mean I can get my back wet? I've been doing frontal showers. How long do i have to keep my bandages on? It's also itchy, but I'm assuming that's because it's healing.
    monique m delph
    edited 10/25/2014 - 4:41 PM

It is against the forum rules to create mulitiple /duplicate threads regarding the same subject . Please keep your posts to one thread......
    You should keep the bandages on until you see the doctor........the orange is probably iodine that was used prior to the surgery as an antiseptic wash.....As for the question regarding resuming sex, you need to discuss that with your doctor. Since you are only a week out, it wouldn't be advisable at this point.......http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/postoperative-care-lumbar-microdiscectomy-surgery
    edited 10/26/2014 - 8:13 AM
    into this one...........Keep your posts confined to THIS thread..
    copied and pasted......

Earlier Today I mentioned that my bandages were being soiled with like an orangeish type color, when I take it off it's a very faint color but it's NOT READ. It can't be iodine because my incision is completely clean. Matter of fact when i take my bandage off & wipe it & it's completely clean. What can it be? My incision is itchy & sore when i lay on it. Maybe it's getting infected?

& My nerve is acting up, they gave me more methylprednisolone .... Anything else I can take?
  • I had my microdiscectomy on l4-l5 on 10/14 (3 days before you) one week after the surgery I was also worried about the pain in my left buttucks even though it was no where near as severe as before the surgery. My pain was only for the first 10 or 15 steps after getting up to walk and then slowly become very minor in pain. Today , 12 days after surgery I walked a half mile twicw and the pain is almost no existant. Be patient,be very careful and you will be fine. I would suggest you slowly ease your self of the hydrocodene,I went from 4 a day to none and had a very bad headache on that day

Again be patient and do not rush yourself and follow your DRS .instructions.

My legs feel like I haven't walked in a year,feel weak. I am trying to build up some strength.

Good Luck
  • Thank you so much, it makes me feel alot better knowing there's others out here going through what I'm going through. please read my most recent post for i have more questions!
    monique m delph