Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone heard of trabecular metal implant?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:18 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone,
I am having an ACDF at lvl C5-6 and C6-7 on July 17. My NS is using an implant called trabecular metal instead of a bone graft. She is also using plate and screws. It is not a ADR as I can't have that due to the two levels. Just scared because I can't find anyone on the forum here that has had this done. My NS has explained it all to me and I do trust her. Just scared and probably didn't help that I watched
an ACDF surgery on a video I found. Wow! How do you swallow or even talk after surgery? Also, how long after surgery do you need help around the house. I have five children, one in Iraq in the Army, one married, and three who work full-time and my husband is a traveling RN so out of town every other week. Just not sure what I will be able to do and not do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks so much, Maryann

• Hello Maryann and welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say hello and welcome you but I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions. I have never heard of this trabecular metal implant and I'm also a lumbar spiney. Hopefully someone will see your post and have an answer for you.
    I would ask my surgeon on where I can find more info about this on the net to read... My doctors always give me sites and sometimes without me asking them they offer that. It's an idea it might help you gather more info on the subject.

When you find more info please come back and post it for the rest of us to learn about it.

Anyway, you came to the right place and keep posting, sharing and asking questions. We're all here for you...

Good luck to you with your surgery..

Lotus :)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i can't help you either except to tell you that you will be able to talk once you wake up for the anesthesia! that tube does no damage, it looks worse than it is! i know you will need some assistance and setting your home up for you to be comfortable in. you may need a raised toilet seat, a grabber, food appropriate to convalescing and pain meds for after surgery. these are only a few things to think about and explore. good luck and i hope to see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • My NS told me to go to Zimmer's site and I did and read about the implant. It still doesn't really tell me why she is using this instead of a bone graft. She did tell me she never uses a patient's own bone because of life long problems with it. I believe from reading that it is like a cage in a way. She will just put in the TM-100 implant in the disc space instead of bone. It is suppose to fuse faster and have less recovery time. Thank you for responding as this is a difficult time for me with all the pain and concern over this surgery. Thank you again, Maryann
  • You're welcome and please know that we're here for you with whatever concerns,questions or just for sharing and venting out.. Keep posting..

• Hmmm, I never thought of a raised toilet seat. The grabber someone told me about. Frankly, right now it is hard to get underwear on and socks. Bending forward sends electric shocks through my arm into my hand. I live on my desktop at home and thinking about buying a laptop since sitting here at the desktop causes so much pain the meds don't help. I am trying to think of food to stock up on that is easy to cook and eat. I guess jello I might have to live on. Do they let you go up and down the stairs? Hmmm, I have a lot to think about in the next couple of weeks and planning it looks like. Thank you again, I appreciate all the help I can get right now. Maryann
  • Maryann,

what I suggest for you is to from now till you see your surgeon you start writting down a list for all the questions that pops into your mind and take it with you, she should be able to answer all of your questions..
    I did this for the last 3 times I saw my surgeon and he was even encouraging me to do that and you sound like you have a good communicative dr.

Good luck.

• Thank you again Lotus. I won't be seeing my surgeon again till my surgery on July 17. I have my pre-op testing at the hospital tomorrow. What should I expect from that? I do have a mitral valve prolapse, heart murmur and left atrial septal aneurysm. My surgeon said they will give me IV antibiotics before and after surgery for the mitral valve. Do they do an EKG at pre-op? I am just hoping that they don't request a cardiac workup before surgery. Just still scared and think I am in denial this is all happening to me. Thanks for any information you can give me. Maryann
This discussion has been closed.