Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 herniated disc causing sciatic and toes to turn blue? please help

ttm28tttm28 Posts: 4
edited 10/26/2014 - 3:12 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone, I've been here a few years ago, but I just recently had an mri on my back which confirmed the herniated disc/pinched nerve. I can also get an emg which should be what I get done next. I just have a quick question, I herniated that disc probably in like 8th grade and never had anything done until 6 years later (had a epidural steroid injection which is already wearing off.) Could have that caused permanent nerve damage which is why my toes may turn bluish when my sciatic really kills me. I'm only 21 and extremely tired of this and really believe this caused me depression.

When I was younger and would complain about back pain doctors or parents were like see the chiropractor. You're young, you more than likely don't have a herniated disc. Well, multiple times in my high school years I had to leave school early because I literally couldn't walk. Then last summer I was to a point I couldn't walk for a full week n had to crawl to the kitchen to get a drink or food. Then finally my one doctor helped me out and was like you have a herniated disc pinching a nerve (I thought yeah I knew this 5 years ago). Anyways could all the time caused me to have permanent nerve damage? Like I said 3 of my toes could literally turn blue and when lying down my upper legs go numb and sometimes my calf muscles lock up pretty bad.Any info on what you think the toes turning blue with blood under them might be is highly appreciated. Thank you guys.

Moderator comments
We can not guess whether or not your toes changing colors could be related to a herniation or pinched nerve. You need to discuss that with your doctor. If the herniation was diagnosed last summer, why are you waiting until now to see someone about it? Have you had the MRI done yet? Or is it the doctor that suspects that there is a herniation? As for whether or not , any damage is permanent or not, we can't determine that either. You need to wait for the testing to be done to confirm or refute nerve involvement.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/welcome-spine-health-how-get-started
advertisement

Comments

• Yes I already had an mri. Like 2 months ago and the epidural shot shortly after. Confirmed L5S1 herniated disc and pinched nerve. I've probably had the herniated disc for 6 years before I actually got an mri to confirm it or any treatment. So I was just wondering if you guys think maybe the toes turning a different color is a result of permanent nerve damage? Sorry for the duplicate thread I didn't know my first thread posted.
  • It may be related or it may not........that's why you need to see the surgeon to go over your symptoms, and he can answer whether or not, based on the images if it might be related or not.
    He should explain the findings on the report, go over the images with you, examine you , discuss your symptoms and answer any questions that you have regarding what he has said. Then suggest various treatment options based on what he sees.
    Has he suggested an emg test? It is a test done to see if there is nerve damage . If not, he may want to send you for that test.
    http://www.spine-health.com/forum/pain/chronic-pain/chronic-pain-treatment-step-step
    http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/diagnostic-tests/electromyography-emg
  • Take some clear and well lit pictures of your blue limb. Especially if it comes and goes.
    Document and track your symptoms and pain levels with your daily activities (basis like showering to additionals like walking) i. e. If you have problems getting through a night or morning routine of looking after yourself)
    Bring this to a certified spine surgeon.