Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NickdNNickd Posts: 1
edited 10/26/2014 - 11:30 PM in Alternative Treatments
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has heard of or had Prolotherapy. It is an injection of glucose used to strengthen weak ligaments. (or something). In the neck in my case. It has been recommended to me but I haven't heard of it or know of anyone who has had it before.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • The idea behind prolotherapy is that the sugar water induces an inflammatory response in the tissues, and causes scar tissue to form......now, if the problem is solely ligaments, it may work, but I would be concerned about scar tissue forming and what if there is another injury or different injury, is the scar tissue going to complicate further treatment.
    Have you seen a board certified spine surgeon to find out what is causing your pain and what he recommends? I would do that first, and ask about other treatment options before undergoing prolotherapy, since most insurances do not cover this procedure.
  • masterfujimmasterfuji Posts: 4
    edited 11/13/2014 - 9:52 AM
    Hi Nick

I have had 5 rounds of prolotherapy for up neck in the C0 and C1 area for instability. I found out about it through research having been struggling for a long time. My opinion and my personal experience have been really good. I had been in pain for years and after 4 treatments the improvement was immense. I recently had an accident which damaged my neck again so I am back getting treatment. There seems to be a lot of hit and miss depending on who you get it from. Because of that I went to Chicago and had the Hackett Hemwell version done. The clinic I went to are great and have lots of youtube clips so you k ow what to expect. If you have any queries just drop me a message/comment.

Just to clarify I am speaking from my own experience but I believe this does work well. I am sure there is lots of good places for treatment but the reason I went to Chicago is because of the pr other a piste as they have a lot of experience. If you are sticking a needle in my neck you need to know what you are doing. Lol. I am living in Ireland. I am not sure of the forum rules or if I can name the clinic but if I can I will on reply. Hope you get relief.

• aevans9216aaevans9216 Posts: 1
    edited 11/26/2014 - 6:36 PM

I like Eoin have benefited tremendously from just 3 prolotherapy treatments to C0-C7. From my personal experience, I would recommend it to anyone suffering. Although, I did not have pain. My symptoms were strictly neurological. Due to instability of my atlas. Either way it worked to attack the root cause of my problems by strengthening the ligaments. By the way, my instability came from chiropractic manipulations.

I pray you find healing.