Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve Block Gone Wrong

murph043mmurph043 Posts: 1
edited 10/27/2014 - 3:04 AM in Spinal Injections
Last December I went in for a steroid injection on my lower back. The nerve block was not for back pain but for testicular pain I had since being injured in afghanistan in 2007. After the nerve block i had lower back pain which I thought would be normal since i just had a giant needle stuck into my spine.

But after days and months of constant pain I know something went wrong. My doctor, the same one who gave me the injection says that I "conveniently" now have arthritis in my lower facet joints. Mind you im 27 and have never had constant back pain like this and the MRI prior to the injection showed no indication that I had arthritis in my lower facet joints. The only thing that has worked in diminishing the pain, is the pain medication tramadol.

Has anyone had anything similar and any advice?
B Murphy

edited 10/31/2014 - 10:01 AM
    I do not have testicles so I cannot offer any thoughts on that part of your situation other than I'm sorry that you have such an issue. You are young for osteoarthritis, but not terribly young for rheumatoid or Psoriatic arthritis. I was diagnosed when I was 30 and was told I was right on schedule for it. Awesome. I just had a nerve block done yesterday as my arthritis moved fairly suddenly and with a vengeance into my lower back. Your timing does sound a bit suspicious to me, however, these things do happen.
    Idk what to say about the nerve block other than my experience seemed to be more of a game of "let's EDITED all the nerves and muscles in the whole area and make it all feel much worse." I was told there would be an immediate and short-lived numbing effect to diagnose efficacy and then that would wear off and several days later, the steroid would begin to take effect. I had no numbing effect and,in fact, everything has hurt much worse ever since. I walked into the building just fine on my own and my husband had to practically carry me out.
    The spine is such a sensitive zone. I just think its so easy for mistakes to be made. Diagnosis is difficult in that area. I intend to see what my regular doctor and my rheumatologist say about this experience as it was under both their recommendations that I go have this done. I trust my regular doctor but I'm not sure he made the right call here with the place they sent me. The procedure itself was horrifically painful and I was not prepared for that. They told me that usually it is not uncomfortable for people. Next crying ya know I'm laying on the table screaming and crying!
    Sorry I'm so long winded. I just think you could be right. Sounds like strange timing. I would get a second option on the matter because you don't want to be treated for issues you don't have just because someone doesn't want to admit they made a mistake where it is very easy to make a mistake.
    Much luck to you! I hope you get relief soon and without too much hassle!

Post edited for inappropriate forum language. Use of foul or vulgar language is not permitted on Spine Health website. We are an international forum with members from all age groups. Please read the forum rules. http://www.spine-health.com/forum/forum-rules
  • I agree it's a little strange that your MRI didn't show this problem before.
    I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis as a young teen & my joint degeneration was in full swing by your age. There's been a lot of breakthroughs recently & they've identified genetic markers etc for osteoarthritis. It's not really just considered 'wear & tear' by those on the cutting edge anymore. Sadly there's no 'right' age to start suffering.
    It could just be a coincidence but as said...strange!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Megeairn5@MMegeairn5@ Posts: 1
    edited 09/10/2015 - 10:47 AM
    went in for left shoulder surgery for my bicep and rotator cuff on 5/11/15. I was given a nerve block for the procedure but after coming out of the anesthesia I was in so much pain from the nerves running down my arm and up my neck because of the block! They're trying to say that I have a Brachial plexus in my shoulder and in my elbow. And claiming I must've done something to cause this mind you I'm barely 4 months out of surgery five weeks of that was spent in a sling!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
    Mary costello
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I also had rotator cuff surgery in June & when my nerve block wore off, the nerves in the back of my neck felt like I was being electrocuted! I also complained about how bad my elbow was hurting. My therapist thought my sling I had to wear was causing these issues. After 2 months, I was allowed to stop wearing the sling, but my nerve pains are still bad. Now my ortho doctor says my ulnar nerve in my elbow is damaged & I may need more surgery.
    What is Brachial plexus?