Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5 / C6 herniation 3 years ago - hope for recovery without surgery?

accidentprone1aaccidentprone1 Posts: 4
edited 10/27/2014 - 2:08 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone,

In November of 2011 at the age of 25, I herniated disc c5 / c6 when I fell asleep on a bus. I woke up with bad neck pain that got increasingly worse over the next week to the point where I couldn't turn my head and had numbness/pain into my right arm. After chiropractic care and physical therapy I was able to get to functioning again, but I have had constant minor to moderate pain since then.

The pain is at best a 1 and at worst a 5 or 6. Most days it's a 3 or 4. I would describe it as a constant soreness/aching/burning. It is mainly on my right side - neck, shoulder, back, arm, elbow and 4th/5th fingers but it doesn't go numb any more.

I have tried chiropractic, physical therapy, acupuncture and massage. It only helps for a few hours or maybe a day. I've discussed spinal injection with my doctor, but he doesn't think it will help based on my MRI and the history of the injury. I finally went to a surgeon for a consultation today and he recommended ACDF surgery and seemed very confident that it would be successful and resolve the issue. 1 hour surgery, estimated 1-2 weeks to heal. No restrictions after that. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal.. but the internet is making me feel otherwise.

I'm not sure what to do. Conservative treatment only helps temporarily. I am 29 and can't imagine living the rest of my life with this constant pain OR spending tons of time and money the rest of my life going to therapy, massage, etc.

I am an active person and love running. I took time off from exercise for close to a year when I was going through physical therapy and felt my symptoms were worse. I resumed running and even did some HIIT, Plyo, yoga etc over the last year. I'm not sure if it's helping, but it doesn't seem to make it worse.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Should I do the surgery or live with the pain? Other treatment ideas that have more lasting results?
28 years old, active, distance runner
Herniation in C5/C6 2011