Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar discectomy-my story with questions

bella4041bbella4041 Posts: 1
edited 10/28/2014 - 8:29 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all!
Firstly, I want to thank you for this community as I am new, but have been reading through these threads a lot the past couple of weeks. I have had back pain for many years and had an MRI in August which showed a severely herniated L4/L5 disc. I currently live in Korea, so funding physical therapy and chiropractic care is a little more difficult. I was treating it twice a week with acupuncture, and still practicing yoga, but three weeks ago, the pain began to spread into my hip, leg, calf and foot. It was unbearable. I was not sleeping at night. I couldn't stand, sit, or walk, and only found a small amount of relief from lying on the opposite side of my body and extending the leg out. I went to another doctor who suggested an emergency microdiscectomy. My main doctor also agreed that this was the best course of action. The day I saw him, my foot had begun to drop and I had no movement in my right ankle and toes. I was terrified, and went through with the surgery the following day.
I have absolutely no leg pain now, and am recovering at home from the surgery, which took place 6 days ago. Because of the language problems, I am unsure of my boundaries. I have been taking light walks, and moving around the house a little, but I am afraid of doing too little or too much. I just wonder if I should be lying down as much as I am, and how I should be lying. I wonder if I should be doing any stretches just yet. I have slight pain in my back and a little pain in my right hip, but other than that, everything is just very tight. I've also got a back brace that I'm required to wear for the next 6-8 weeks. Any support or insight would really be appreciated. Thank you!