Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery is good

Well this is day 6 coming out of a spinal fusion surgery. Waking up this morning, I was just a little stiff. That sharp pain in my back is not as noticeable. I truly believe that the walking is helping with the healing process. My back is healing much faster than the first surgery I had. I just want everyone to know that the numbness and weakness will go away. It just takes a little time. But getting up and moving is the best thing anyone can do after this surgery. I wish everyone in recovery a good, pain free day :-)
Have a good day

• I am very happy for you feeling as good as you do. After my surgery. I walked as much as I could and I still do. I agree that it helps speed up recovery.
    Tracie C
  • I also would like to stress the importance of walking after fusion. I really believe that all of my walking ,right after surgery ,did in fact enhance my recovery emmensely! Now at 12 weeks post op, I'm back at work feeling pretty good. Also, back to the gym albeit just the treadmill and elypitacal. However, I realize that the complete healing process could be many months out and that it is still a journey.
    Wishing everyone here a fast recovery and continued progress!
    Bilateral L5 spondylolysis L5 with grade I anterolisthesis L5-S1.
    Stable multilevel degenerative spondylosis contributing to mild canal
    narrowing L2-3 and L3-4.
    360 ALIF & PLIF L-4 - S-1 on 8/11/14
  • Thank you for your feedback. I was planning to undergo this surgery but was bit scared but now by seeing your positive response, I can undergo surgery without any fear.
  • I had surgery on November 20th and was released the same day. One of my biggest challenges is trying to find a comfortable position to sleep at night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried a memory foam pillow and propping myself up in bed with pillows wedged around me.

My husband and I have been taking walks at night but I am a little hesitant because of all the ice on the road. We just joined a fitness club. Would 2 weeks post-op be too soon to start walking on a tread mill? I have a follow-up appointment with the nurse this coming Thursday and am planning on asking her.

I feel better when I am moving around. Although I think I over did it a bit on Thanksgiving day because both of my arms from the shoulders to the wrists ached all night.

It has been a 4 year battle for me with the chronic pain in my arm and between my shoulder blades. I tried everything from traction to injections and physical therapy following a car accident in which I sustained whiplash. My discs were degenerative and herniated and I also had spinal stenosis.

I really am hoping to be able to live a pain free life and to get back into bicycling, walking, swimming, and kayaking. All in good time, one day at a time.
    Lyon Mary
  • I was scared too about the surgery but I couldnt stand the pain I was in. Walking is the best therapy. Everyone is affected a bit differenttly.... Been walking every day since surgery. I am up to almost 2 miles.

Good luck

L4/5 S1 Decompression PSF with TLIF 11/5/14
    Spondylolithesis (congenital)