Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Questions on Anterior Cervical Decompression.

Jeff29754JJeff29754 Posts: 3
edited 11/03/2014 - 3:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi folks, my first post here and have been going thru all the relevant posts which leave just a couple of questions unanswered.

But first, the diagnosis:

Multi level cervical degeneration with cord signal at C4/C5.
Subtle features of myelopathy with brisk Hoffman's on the right side.
Brisk reflexes bilaterally of supraspinatus reflexes.
Grade 4 out of 5 power in right upper arm.
Grade 3 out of 5 power in right lower arm.

Advised to have an anterior cervical decompression and fusion at C4/C5.

When i last spoke to my surgeon, he said there was a third that needed the same treatment, either C3 or C6.

1: No pain.
2: Spasms in right leg and arm, with toes and fingers cramping up quite badly.
3: Inability to walk for more than 10ft approx before having to sit back down.
4: Right leg muscle weakness.
5: Unable to bend toes on right foot.
6: Severe numbness in right hand, spread now to midway between wrist and elbow.*
7: Fluid build-up in right hand.*

* My Questions:

My surgeon when told of the swelling in my fingers/hand/wrist and lower arm, told me it was fluid build-up caused by lack of use of my arm, altho i told him i use my arm just as much as before. I've seen no reference to this fluid build-up after hours of reading thru this forum, so would appreciate any input as to the cause of this.

Second and last question is ..

Is this operation just to widen the canal, or are bone spurs removed as a matter of course ?

My surgery is just over a week away on November 7th, so would really appreciate some input as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.