Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

33 just had second surgery in less than 6 months....

mandzsmommammandzsmomma Posts: 2
edited 10/30/2014 - 8:56 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I put info in my intro but don't know how many read that. I had a spondlyothesis that was aggravated by a car accident in 08. It allowed the pars to break further, pushed my l4 and l5 in opposite directions. I tried everything, PT, Chiro, Injections including steriod and epi, my SI slowly got worse to complete right leg numbing and I had two falls. Went for a second opinion this doc came highly recommended and did a new MRI and showed me how the one disc was split, another with no fluid, and how pinched my SI nerve was. My husband and I weighed the pros and cons based on what the surgeon said. At first recover went very well... two months after my SI flared up again, I got a shot, it seemed to take, and I continued on my way. My surgery was outpatient, and I was back to work in 4 weeks.
About two months ago my SI got worse, and I was hearing creaking noises in my back. They got progressively worse and louder to where my husband could here them, so he said I should get back into PT... I went to PT (also and actual MD Chiro) and he said he wasn't touching me or exercising until he did xrays. Xrays revealed two broken pedicle screws at S1, and by this point my leg was shooting pain and giving out... this got worse, I had an emergency visit with my surgeon who took his own xrays and confirmed, and had surgery to fix it this past Monday. (My first surgery was in May this year, so less than 6 months later I am down again). This time my leg is still giving out (I read my online chart notes which noted a lumbarsacral ligament sprain). Can't help but wonder if it is actually a tear from the broken hardware and out of place bone... and I was not written out, so continued to work another week, though I was back in my brace. This time I am also struggling to urinate... I have the urge to go, and then have to sit for like 10-15 mins, and the stream starts and stops... hoping this goes away. I am drinking plenty of water to offset the meds, and softeners, as it has been since Monday with no BM, though I have passed gas (TMI, sorry but that is how these medical issues work)....
Anyway definitely want some opinions from people who have had failed hardware and complications from that. I am so pissed that wasn't even told to me as a potential complication, isn't even on any of the paperwork given to me listing potential complications.... and very frustrating to be out of work again, young, and feeling like I am starting from square 1.
I will say after my first surgery and the 4 weeks recovery, for about a month I felt great! I was exercising, doing my spin bike, was so excited and then the SI crap started again. Doc kept dismissing it, despite my calls for something stronger, gave the one shot, but didn't do an xray on that visit... I go for follow up on the 7th, and cannot help but wonder if in the meantime I should seek a second opinion with a CT to see the nerve damage done, or if it is truly a sprained ligament. From the research I had done, that ligament is one of the hardest to sprain on ones own.
I'm stressed financially, I'm emotionally drained, and in obvious pain. Doc said I should be back to work in a week this time (well something changed because in the OR, instead of a small incision to access the one part, he recut my entire incision, and his documents show he worked on two levels not just one, though it doesn't specify.) Any advice to get the full OR report complete with all notes, would be wonderful! I did notice in one xray from the first surgery in looking back an sort of random little piece of metal that didn't seem to belong (near where the vertebra spacer was put).... I am wondering if they are hiding something... and really want to know because the doc answers things so vague sometimes. For instance after my first surgery I had an entire list of questions, when can I do this, and that, and his answer to each one was as I felt like it. Ok... so I resumed normal activities, nothing out of the ordinary.... and then when this was found he said well that bottom part didn't have enough time to heal.... initially he said this time I would be back to work in a week... today his office wrote me out for an initial two weeks until my follow up..... I need some help, advice, support, and assistance from those who have been there. Thank you in advance for reading my late night (can't sleep) rambling.

Please follow link to introduction..I have linked the 2 posts to keep all responses in the same place, when duplicating it causes confusion for the poster and responders with no continuity ........spine-health moderator team