Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swimming and disc problem

DheyaDDheya Posts: 1
It has always been said that swimmig is good for spinal diseases. Unfortunately I've noted otherwise. Could that be due to type of swimming?
I had a desctomy surgery in March this year in Munich in L5 where the Doctor also cut a small piece of the bone. Things were all OK till after 5 months from the surgery when previous pain started to develop again. New MRI showed that same prolapsed disc developed again. Doctors told me that I have to do fusion surgery this time.
The concerned issue here is swimming. All doctors told me that swimmig is the best exercise but in my case I noted that swimming leads the increased pain. Observing the situation, it appeared that pain disappears when I stop swimming for few days. I've been swimmig 3 times a week for 300-400 m doing both types, front stroke.
I'm now family confident that the pain is due swimming but is it due the type and movements. I love my swimming and love to continue. Should I stop my swimming or change my style.
Your thoughts are highly appreciated

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Here's my opinion: you're doing the wrong kind of swimming.

The front stroke requires you to twist your spine with every forward arm stroke. That means pain.

I'd suggest taking a couple of hydrotherapy PT sessions to learn some good, non-twisting moves. And the idea of 'swimming' may also be where you're making a mistake. I never 'swam' in pool therapy. Instead, I was always standing in the pool, or walking in the pool, or seated on a bench practicing sit-to-stand. None of these moves requires twisting as you first have to build up your core muscles to PROTECT your spine. Only then can you start to twist in a way that will not hurt.

Please ask for help in learning safe back-pain approved pool therapy maneuvers. If you don't want to pay for a therapist in the water with you, you can search for videos online. Please stop the front crawl. You can always go back to it once you're ready .
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • I found swimming difficult after each of my surgeries if I tried free style. Instead I forward kick with a kick board to help stop any twisting. I've just started breast stroke & am being cautious not to twist (I'm not a great swimmer), as well as back stroke. I also invested in a waterproof MP3 player off eBay for about $40 to help keep me motivated. I also walk forward, backward & side step to warm up before I swim. I went to a rehab hospital after my fusion & the physio gave me a great hydrotherapy program to follow. I think it's worth finding a pt that has some experience in hydrotherapy program's.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 360
    I think the key term would be 'water exercise' is great for nerve and/or joint pain. My physiotherapist warned against swimming outright because of a tendency to arch the back and reach with your neck/chin, both bad for the bad discs. But he was thrilled that I was taking aquacise and said I could hardly make things worse with this type of exercise. I have the option of doing mine in the deep end of the pool (with a float belt) so I don't have to bounce off the floor at all and it has been very helpful in keeping/building muscle tone until I am ready for higher impact exercise like power walking, etc. I have not had surgery yet, but I'm striving to be in the best shape possible going into it and I cannot do much of anything out of the water.
  • RunnerHKTRRunnerHKT Posts: 231
    edited 11/08/2014 - 6:25 AM
    that swimming can actually aggravate the L5 area. (My injury is L5/S1) He said currently while it is still ruptured that I can float only or walk in the water. Before the disc herniated, I noted that my back would get a lot worse after swimming, I was swimming 3600M so I guess I was using it a lot.

So I would avoid that kind of swimming but still get in the pool. I have not since injury because I am a wimp. I live in Florida, the pool is outdoors and it's been cold. they don't heat it until later in the year. When swimming regularly I would heat up, but walking in the pool is not really "exercise" so...I fear freezing.

Wishing you all the best. Let us know how you do.