Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower Back Pain

RyanB89RRyanB89 Posts: 4
edited 10/31/2014 - 7:08 PM in Lower Back Pain
Hi everyone.
I'm new to the site and just wanted to tell my story, see if anyone can help or if anyone has the same issues.
I am a 25 year old male, 180 pounds (On a good day) and fairly active, i.e work outdoors, enjoy exercise whenever possible. A couple days ago I was sitting down and out of nowhere I got this dull pain in my lower back, didn't think much of it because I have had some lower back issues in the past and it always goes away within an hour or so, and if not I just take some Ibuprofen or aleve which almost always solves the problem.

This time I took some aleve and it did absolutely nothing. I also noticed when I would sit in certain positions it would kind of radiate up to the mid back area of my spine, the radiating to the middle of the spine was not necessarily pain, but more of a weird, dull sensation I cannot even describe, but that issue seemed to only be there when I would sit in a certain position. That night I had a couple alcoholic drinks which seemed to alleviate the pain significantly which i found interesting. when I woke up the next day the pain was there but barely, as the day went on the pain slowly came back to the lower back area and would go up the spine when sitting in a certain position, usually that position is on a couch watching the TV.

I finally went to see a chiropractor I have been seeing since I was about 5 years old. He said I had some muscle issues going on in my lower back and an area in my neck. he did some work on me for about 20 minutes and I felt better after, not 100% but definitely better. About 5 hours went by and the pain came back. This all began about 2 days after I was trying a very low carb, high protein diet. I have no idea if the two are correlated but I just thought I would throw that out there.

Now I'm wondering if I should go see a doctor and get tests or just wait a few more days and see what happens. the pain is not really getting worse. it seems to plataeu around the same dullness and just linger until I move and then it settles down but usually comes right back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read my post.

• tpolinttpolin Posts: 59
    edited 11/01/2014 - 3:04 PM
    5.06 You agree not to post information that is considered to be formal medical advice.
    5.12 You agree that any information, opinions or other content provided by doctors or patients on Spine-health.com forums is for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical diagnoses or treatment. Always consult with a physician for any health problem or medical condition.
  • Thank you for the response!
    I will definitely look into those
  • A strong core is not only aesthetics. Just make sure you do abs where the low back is protected. There are variations and not just crunches out there. I do some very silly little moves that isolate what I need to strengthen.

Yoga is good for you. But if you don't want to do it I get it... I waa 25 once too. A good physio or yoga teacher will show you not only the moves. But how to do them. Properly. You take notes and do some of these every day. If you know how they feel doingthe moves then you minimize doing them wrong.
    One thing I learned from yoga and physio is that if your calves/hammies/hips are tight your back takes more load. If your abs are flab (mine are for sure but I'm working on it). Then there's nobody to help out Mr. Spine.
    I love yard work and working outdoors. I'm jealous.
  • My physical therapist is extremely passionate about what he does. He can actually be scary sometimes particularly when he's giving his lecture to marathon runners. His soap box subject is the things people now do in the name of health & fitness. Things which are very damaging to the body, particularly the spine. Once you've seen him holding & banging his little models of the spine around you'd never run or do a 'power workout' again in your life!
    It took me a couple of tries to find him. I had an over zealous therapist before that really hurt me by giving me standard McKenzie herniated disc exercises! He studied my MRI & took me through things/moves I should never do with my spine problems. He taught me about posture, lifting & carrying techniques and developed stretching & exercise routines to make my bost strong without causing more pain or damage. I have lots of "silly little moves" to. I used to think I was fit & healthy. My whole core has never been as strong as it is since meeting him. We often ignore key muscles when exercising normally.
    I would now advise anyone, everyone to have at least a few sessions with a great physical therapist. You're lucky if you catch little weaknesses before they become major issues that you have to live with. I know it's hard to be disciplined, even if you're not in pain but the old adage about an ounce of prevention is definitely true! Anyone who lives with chronic unrelenting pain day in & day out would do pretty much anything to turn back the clock & avoid it if possible.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • Thank you for the responses!
    My chiropractor recommended I do a few yoga stretches a couple days ago. I have been doing the stretches but they provide little relief.
    Today I took a couple Ibuprofen and for the first time in almost a week it almost completely relived the pain. The pain has come back as evening approaches but I don't think it's as bad as it was several days ago. I will see how the next couple days go and try to continue taking it easy.

Physical therapy has crossed my mind in the past as back issues have lingered with me my entire life. After reading your post I am absolutely going to do more research into it, especially if the pain persists. It seems like it could be a great way to not only relive pain but better prevent myself from pain in the future.

Thank you again for the responses!
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/03/2014 - 3:10 AM
    your best, FIRST decision should be to see your medical doctor , to find out what may be causing it, and and then to see what you can do about it.
    Excercising, stretching, yoga, etc are all good things, however, until you know the CAUSE of the low back pain, you are only treating the symptoms and may wind up hurting yourself more by starting an excercise program that you haven't cleared with your doctor.
    Low back pain may be simply muscular in nature, and resolve on it's own, or it may be something more serious.........the only way to find out, is to see your doctor.

• ericmurphyeericmurphy Posts: 2
    edited 11/05/2014 - 2:44 PM
      Post edited to remove link. You are not permitted to link to professional websites or specific physician/medical practices on Spine Health.
    Please see the forum rules at the link below for more information.
    You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities , devices or product names on Spine-Health.com.

• RyanB89RRyanB89 Posts: 4
    edited 11/05/2014 - 2:02 PM
    Thank you for the response! The back pain has complete subsided in recent days. I was about to go to a doctor if I did not see any improvements, but in recent days it has improved drastically. Should it come back I will definitely be going to a medical doctor to see if there is anything chronic going on. It had me worried but I am now feeling much better.