Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Difficulty walking, going downstairs

redhummingbirdrredhummingbird CAPosts: 50
edited 11/01/2014 - 8:42 AM in Lower Back Pain
This back pain stuff is tough to deal with at times. Yesterday my back was so flared that I could barely walk downstairs. Everytime I would put my left foot down I'd have localized pain near the spine (near the area I had surgery (microdiscectomy)
in 2007 for a massively herniated disc at L5-S1.

I'm also having increased numbness in my left foot, tingling, and mild sciatica.

Unfortunately my doctor hasn't ordered an MRI. The last one I had was in 2011 or 2012.

I've been doing back stretches twice a day which does help muscle pain but yesterday it hurt to lift my leg. I did PT which helped the tight spasming muscles but the PT said it's not helping the real issue which is the disc.

Does anyone have tips on how to deal with this sort of pain?

I can't tolerate NSAIDS due to chronic gastritis from using them so much. I do use Voltaren Gel and ice.

Much as I loathe MRI's I need one as well as a lumbar epidural (have had 2 in the past which helped a lot) but I can't convince my doctor. I have a request in for a second opinion.

I forgot to add that I get anxious about new symptoms because I'm afraid of living with that sort of pain all the time.

Thanks for any tips and support

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/01/2014 - 3:24 PM
    What kind of doctor are you seeing? If this is your primary, and you are experiencing new , worrisome symptoms, you should be seen and evaluated by a spine surgeon.
  • Sandi I'm seeing a neurologist who said 40% of his patients have spine issues. I agree I need to be evaluated by a spine surgeon.

I'm hoping to get a quick response to the email I sent requesting a spine surgeon. I think some sort of intervention is needed before this progresses too much further.

I'm pretty concerned about the symptoms. The pain going down the stairs and pain with walking flared suddenly. I have zero pain going upstairs. Leaning backwards also hurts. I know I have a herniation on the other side of L5-S1 but it's lateral and not bad. I also have DDD and spinal stenosis (I think).
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/03/2014 - 3:19 AM
    Do you need a referral for your insurance? If not, you can look up spine surgeons or call the hospitals around you for one.....
    You can also use the find a doctor feature at the top of the page or found here........http://www.spine-health.com/doctor/find-a-physician

You can also go to your medical insurance website or booklet and find a listing of physician specialities that you can use to find a spine surgeon as well. I suggest making an appointment with an ortho and a neuro spine surgeon.......that way, you get ideas from both regarding what needs to be done, and you can decide which one you are more comfortable with.