Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post lumbar fusion and laminectomy

I had a fusion at L4/L5 and a laminectomy due to spondolethasis on 7-25-14. For the first 5 to 6 weeks I had a great deal of pain down ny right butt and back quad and foot. Than it went away quickly and at my 7 week apt with my Doctor HD told me I could go do what ever I wanted. I was doing very well til Oct 15 when I had a great deal of pain at my hip abductors when I was hiking. I had a massage and felt better but 3 days later it came back and has been getting worse. Bilateral upper quad sciatice and both feet go numb. Did a prednisone burst. Not much help Now I have an MRI scheduled for Nov 7 and an apt with the Neuro Doc on the 23th. Worried about scar tissue or L/3/L4 going. Anybody have any experience with this?

• sandisandi Posts: 6,342
    edited 11/01/2014 - 3:17 PM
    It may just be a flare up from doing too much, too soon, after your surgery.........Quite honestly, while the fusion may be developing, real recovery from a fusion surgery is more along the lines of 12-18 months, until you really are able to resume most of your former activities........you are only less than 6 months post op, and perhaps hiking was a bit more than your body was ready to take on at this stage of the recovery process.
    It may have caused some swelling in the area and tissues surrounding the area and inflammed the surgical area.......It is a good idea once you are cleared to resume your activities to build up your strength, endurance and tolerance for such strenuous activities by starting small and then working your way back up to your previous activity levels.