Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Frustrated over surgery

I had a XLIF on October 23, 2014 and I still hurt pretty bad. It's not near as bad as the first fusion I had done through my stomach, but I'm still in a lot of pain. Basically I can't go without taking the Oxycontin. I can't do the exercises without it. I think, I'm so frustrated because I don't know what to except day after day. I wanted to know if anyone has had this type of back fusion and what your outcome was. I know I might be a little impatient, but I'm ready to start jogging :-)
Have a good day

• before you will be physically ready to jog, if your surgeon allows it at all.
    When you have spine issues, doing things that may cause further injury or risk the repair you just had isn't advisable.
    You are less than 2 weeks post op, with weeks and months ahead of you before the fusion process is complete.
  • I was worried about still taking a lowish dose of oxycontin at 4 weeks post op & tried to wean myself off it before my surgeon follow up. It ended badly with me in huge amounts of pain so I went back on it. As it turned out my surgeon expected me to still be taking it until at least week 6 before weaning off it. Wish he'd told me that earlier!

I had a TLIF at L5S1 & today have reached the 3 month mark. I understand your frustration. I've had bouts of it every couple of weeks since surgery. I asked my physio last week about progress & she is really happy with where I'm at. Through out the whole process of surgeries this year I've learnt one really important thing, patience. I'm still healing & still have some pain but each week I've felt better than the last.

I'd wait for clearance from your surgeon before jogging.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • I had my 3rd fusion on the 24 and I am in the same boat. My pain doc won't believe I'm in pain though so they have me on the lowest dose of oxycodone that they could do.
  • 2 weeks post op? The only "excercises" you should be doing is walking..........that's it........no bending, lifting , twisting is the normal post op restriction, with walking as much as possible over the days , building time and distance, but not causing pain......
  • scared99sscared99 Posts: 9
    edited 11/04/2014 - 2:54 AM
    Thank you for the comments. This forum is a little difficult. I just learned how to pull my comments up. Anyway, the exercises are what the PT want me to do. They are just lying on my back and tightening up my stomach. There's some other's. But the one I thought was going to kill me, was tightening up my buttocks. I know my expectations are to high right now. I see the doctor tomorrow and I'm going to have to ask him for another script. I told the PA that I only wanted enough to last me until I say my doctor. Which was stupid!!! I don't like asking for pain medicine because I feel they think I'm a junky. It's happened many times. That reminds me, that I called them on the forth day and told them my leg was really weak and the pain was increasing. Well they said they called in steroids. Which EDITED off because in my chart, it's listed as one of my allergies. I'm bipolar and they send me straight into a manic state. Even the steroid shots did it. I don't know what has happened in the last couple months. But the doctors around here don't want to write scrips for pain meds. They automatically send you to pain management. It was not like this before. In fact my doctor doesn't even put his name on them. His nurse practitioner writes them. I know that had nothing to do with the topic. I just wanted to let you know how it goes as far as the pain meds.

Post edited for inappropriate language. Use of foul or vulgar language is not permitted on Spine Health.
    Have a good day
  • Shari514SShari514 Posts: 121
    edited 11/04/2014 - 3:40 AM
    Dear Scared, I had an XLIF surgery 18 months ago. I had a pre-arranged set of instructions from my pain management physician. I was discharged from the hospital with an RX of #90 Percocet from my surgeon. One week later I followed up with PM, he took over my medications and gave me an RX for #150 Percocet. I took that as prescribed (1-2 every 4-6 hours) for about 3-4 weeks. By then the Percocet had become more than I needed so I turned #125 back in to PM and left with #90 Vicodin, which I still needed to take on a fairly regular basis until about 12 weeks post op. You have undergone a HUGE surgical procedure, it takes time and a lot of it to recover. The only thing I was allowed to do was walk every day. The surgeon and the PA made a really big deal about NOT overdoing it. I can't imagine that your doctor would consider you a junky to be in pain and needing meds 2 weeks after surgery. I was able to start going about normal activities at the 5 week point. I am happy to report that I have had an excellent result and feel better than I have in years! I was very careful to follow all instructions and take it easy and I feel like I had a pretty quick turn around, especially considering that I was 51 when I had surgery. I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon and I hope you have a positive follow up with your surgeon. Let us know.
    Lumbar laminectomy L-4/L-5, 2006
    XLIF with posterior pedicle screws L-4/L-5, 4-23-2013
  • Scared99

I am new here and had the XLIF surgery October 6th. You can read my story in the New Member section in the Forum.
    It takes time....I too thought it would be quicker healing because it is minimal invasive but it is still trauma to your body.
    Hope you heal soon.