Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

swelling 8 weeks postop

edited 11/02/2014 - 8:15 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to the forum and hope I can find some answers and see if anyone else has went through similar problems. I had a 2 part spinal fusion l4-l5 8 weeks ago. I have been doing everything the dr said. As you all know, no bending, lifting over 10 lbs or twisting. When I went to my second post op visit, I showed him the "lump" that was under my incision, about the size of a half baseball, he said it was a seroma, fluid build-up and that it was nothing to worry about, use heat and my body will absorb it. I am still having pain also, not like it was but enough to wear I am taking Norco and Soma. Some days my pain is about a 6-8. Now, I am 8 weeks postop and having days to where pain is worse and when I am hurting like that, my lower back is swollen more and not just on the incision but all the way across to the other side and extremely painful moving around. I am not able to do a lot around the house yet either. So, I am not over doing it. Mostly in my recliner with a firm pillow behind me to keep my back straight and supported and heat several times a day. I just don't understand why I am having more days that this swelling is happening.. any input would be greatly appreciated!

• sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 11/03/2014 - 3:50 AM
    due to the surgery, and post op tenderness of the area.........is the seroma reabsorbing? If not, you may want to see your surgeon for further follow up or at least call them to ask them if you should come in for a check.
    Ice may be a better option than applying heat to the area, especially if the swelling is causing you pain.......sitting too long, or standing too long can also cause the swelling to continue.
    Sitting should be limited to no more than 15-30 minutes at a time , gradually building up time
  • maybe sitting (reclining) in my recliner all day is causing this unusual swelling and pain?? I go back to my surgeon next Monday and will discuss this with him. I know I have been told this is a slow healing process...
    I am just so ready to get past this and get back to my normal activites..
    also forgot to mention that my first surgery, this incision on my left side, my whole left hip area and a top portion of my left leg is totally numb.. which I was told is normal