Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bilateral C2 Rhizotomy

I am almost 9 weeks post op got a C1/C2 neck fusion. Along with the fusion my neurologist also performed a bilateral C2 rhizotomy. The entire back of my head is numb but behind the numbness I have severe pressure and burning sensations. The feeling is awful and makes it very difficult to rest my head and neck? Any idea why my head has these feelings when there was no surgery performed on my head?

• which burns the nerves at that level. Those nerves innervate the back of your head.
  • But why would I take my head hurt so terribly even though it is numb to the touch? Also do the nerves regenerate? My doctor is very evasive when we talk about this. I have also tried to find info on the internet but have not had much success there, your comments are appreciated.
  • Doug HellDoug Hell Posts: 335
    edited 11/04/2014 - 2:38 AM
    Remember Kveid, u have had 2 procedures done here. Perhaps the head pain to the touch is being caused by the fusion itself? Perhaps you are confusing muscle pain with nerve pain? Perhaps not. You really do need to give yourself some more time! As for the Rhizotomy, there is a less than 5% chance that you may have increased nerve pain following the procedure for 1-3 months. This includes that rotten sunburn sensation. Also note that the medial branch nerves do control small muscles in your neck. A rhizotomy will not permanently harm these muscles, but I'm sure they can create some added discomfort. Maybe this is the reason for the pain to the touch. Everything is a big maybe! Time is the answer!
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • http://admin.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/dermatome-map

Take a look at the dermatome map, and you can see that the C2 spinal nerves go right up the back of your skull to the top of your head, from the base of your skull. From your description, that's where it sounds like you had the rhizotomy done, so I am guessing that the pain you are experiencing is related to the nerves dying off, coupled with the pain from the surgery itself.

• Doug, the pain isn't sire to the touch, it is severe pressure pains in my head behind where it is numb, if that makes any sense. I know it's all about time, I just worry when I have these types of pains is it something wrong so that is why I ask but if they are normal pain for this 2 types of surgery then I just need to deal with it. My doctor and I only discussed the fusion, didn't even know what a rhizotomy was until after my surgery and I awoke with a totally numb head so all yours and sandi's input puts my mind at ease. It's hard to believe that I was a healthy woman and over night your life can change. Thanks again, you are both greatly appreciated.
  • I think your surgeries are far too new to be worried about abnormalities. You are still healing. Give it some time! None of us are strangers to how your life can change in an instant. I was hit by a rogue vehicle that almost paralyzed me. Hold on tight as there will be many ups and downs before you get to where u need to be. Do what your Doctor says and be safe in your actions. Again, time is the answer!

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • Thanks again, you truly all have been a blessing to me in this healing process, your words of encouragement and facts have helped greatly.