Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoratic spinal stenosis

suzgrantssuzgrant Posts: 3
edited 11/04/2014 - 3:58 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I have been told that this type of stenosis is very rare. ..has anyone else been diagnosed with it? I am to the point where epidural injections no longer work. . I'm on hydromorphone to stop the pain and Lyrica and it doesn't seem to be helping anymore. I am now considering surgery which I have been fight off to do. ... I think I'm out of options now. .. help me understand what I should do next. . Please

• What has your surgeon recommended for treatment? You may want to find a thoracic surgeon at a nearby large medical facility for a consultation since thoracic surgery is a specialty.
  • Hope this helps,I have just undergone surgery for thoracic stenosis(27th Oct) T10/11 laminectomy,first noticed symptoms about 18 months ago,pain in right leg progessing to numbness down to foot then into other leg.MRI confirmed the narrowing and compression of spinal nerve.Lived with the problems until could no longer safely drive and walking became interesting.
    No more hope of waking one day and all would be better.
    That was it and I decided to go for surgery which lasted about two hours,the best sleep I'd had for about a year.Also told that this was an unusual form of stenosis and the narrowing was such that they wondered how I could walk at all.
    Only kept in hospital for one night then discharged when I could walk up some stairs.
    The original symptoms have not gone away yet but this will take some time I'm told.I do feel a little more confident though.Just taking it very easy for now not sure how capabilities will return.
    In all I think I had no other choice for treatment as the problem was getting worse.Lovely people and my main anxiety was the general anaesthetic not having had one before.Nothing to worry about .
    So into recovery now with only paracetomol as pain releiver.
    It does stress to get to the decision to go for the surgery but the alternative at least for me was a lot worse.
    Almost gave up when they cancelled the appointment after waiting in ward for four hours and had to return the next week due to lack of beds available.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • I couldn't wait to get the surgery!. All I knew is that the symptoms went from a sore back, to numb feet, then thighs, below the waist and just got worse very day,until I could not walk. The surgery was easy. Go in, wear a mask and the next thing is the dr. Waking you up! 23 staples in my back, but I could walk right away! Still numb but not as bad. Either way, without the surgery I would have been a paraplegic. The operating and great Drs. Saved me... This was my 3 rd time of being put under. Knee surgery, hernia surgery and now spine surgery...can't wait to see what's next! Lol.......