Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic pain

I don't know if this is a duplicate purchased if so I am sorry. Six months ago I had L5 S1 fusion surgery with hardware done. After my surgery I was in more pain than I was before surgery. The pain was so bad when I would get up I would hit the floor in painhad a CT done and it revealed that there was no fusion going on. And that there was no indication that it was going to fuse my question is has anyone else had this problem and how soon can they do revision surgery or do I have to wait a year
Doris Driver

• Most surgeons give it at least a year, before calling it a failed fusion. Some people start fusing earlier than others, and for some, not seeing bone growth evident at 6 months doesn't necessarily mean that it failed to fuse , as of yet.
    You would have to ask your surgeon for what /when he will call the fusion a failed fusion and consider a redo......it really depends on the surgeons.
  • ddriver1123dddriver1123 Posts: 26
    edited 11/04/2014 - 5:55 PM
    My dr has already diagnosed it as a failed fusion, have had three dr's say the same thing. He is calling post laminectomy syndrome
    Doris Driver
  • Have any of the surgeons given you any ideas of what they would recommend doing?
    When I failed to fuse, they redid mine, and also had to replace two screws which were backing out of the vertebra, but it really depends on what the surgeons' feel is necessary in your particular case.
  • My dr has already diagnosed it as a failed fusion, have had three dr's say the same thing. He is calling post laminectomy syndrome
    Doris Driver
  • I don't know I have to go back this Tuesday, before he said I would need revision surgery, but I had to wait a year, even though he has diagnosed me with a failed surgery. It has been almost 7 months from my surgery and since then all that has happened is a cyst has grown right beside l5 hardware, I am on worse pain now than before surgery.. It has gotten to the place if I walk or bend just a hair I am in serve pain. All I am doing is staying drugged up. What kind of life is that can't go anywhere cant do anything, come Tuesday I plan on begging for a redo. I am so ready for my life back or at least some kind of normal.
    Doris Driver
  • I actually found my revision surgery recovery much easier than my first fusion surgery, so I hope that it is the same for you, recovery wise.
    You always have the option of consulting with another surgeon as well if you feel that you might like a second opinion, and you feel ready to undergo the revision and your current surgeon won't consider it for another several months.