Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just diagnosed, opinions or testimonials please

BishopsnetBBishopsnet Posts: 1
edited 11/06/2014 - 4:13 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all,

I was in a car crash 2 years ago and had a pinched nerve. I had minimal treatment and didn't have too many issues from it. A couple months ago I started losing strength in my right arm. Then severe pain from my neck to my right shoulder for a few weeks. The pain subsided but my arm is still week. A few days ago I started having pins and needles feeling in my right arm. Now I am having what appears to be itching throughout my body. After an MRI I was diagnosed with 2 herniated disks. C5-C6 and C6-C7. The Dr. is ordering a nerve test and will determine if I need epideral shots and PT or surgery where a piece of bone is taken from my hip and fused to the disk. Everything I am reading online says that surgery is usually successful and the preferred treatment. Every other treatment is just temporary relief. I can't find much info on the risks or complications afterward. I am only 38 and feel too young to be having neck surgery. I'd like to hear testimonials on what treatment options you explored and the results. Thank You for your time.

• But.... I just have had back injury. I felt much more in control and had a better understanding of all the options after I visited with 3 separate Neurosurgeons. When they all concurred independently that they would choose the same plan for me that made me very confident in the choice. None of them were at all offended that I was getting a second or third opinion. I went in and said, "Hello Dr X. I understand that I have XYZ condition based on my MRI. I have already seen Dr. R but I wanted someone else to review my films and situation. What do you think. Each MD then examined me and looked at my films and told me a plan. Since none of them differed I found that comforting. Of course it also made it hard to decide who should do surgery when I get to the surgery point.
  • Arlene SmithAArlene Smith Posts: 2
    edited 11/13/2014 - 3:33 AM
    Hi there,
    I completely understand your dilemma about getting a neck surgery done at such a young age. I went through the same phase a few years back. But as I'm a sports person it was very important for me to get a permanent relief. I got a complete detailed information about the procedure of the surgery, pros and cons of the alternative treatments from my doctor and was very much convinced that surgery was the only thing that although painful would provide me absolute relief. I would recommend you to go for surgery as it is anytime better than the other options.

Always remember these are opinions of members and NOT always want you should be looking after
    Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 11/13/14 09:33
  • It really depends on what you want, a permanent solution or a temporary solution. I was 14,15 and 16 when I had my 3 fusions and it can be scary. However it is easier to get feeling better and back to normal with an easie recovery while you are younger. It wouldn't hurt to go see some neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons to see what they suggest and who you like or don't like. You may not get your strength back if you don't get your herniated discs taken care of because that doesn't get rid of the problem by doing PT or injections because the problems still there and it's more and option for your comfort.
  • Arlene and I will have to agree to disagree on this one. Though in her situation, surgery provided a great deal of relief, that isn't always the case with surgery. You don't always come out of surgery with 100% pain relief. Sometimes u end up with more pain or different kinds of pain. I am in agreement that you need to get at least a second opinion from a "Board Certified Spine Surgeon" ONLY. In my honest opinion, surgery should be the last option. Just some background on me Bishop.... I was involved in a serious car wreck. I had 3 fractured bones and needed a multi level fusion in the same area as yours + more and it has been a long, long 10 month road for me thus far. I still have work to do..... I would recommend anything but surgery if you can avoid it. It should be a last resort in my opinion. Research the heck out of it, weigh up the pros and cons + options and make an educated decision. Wishing you well as always.

Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore