Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

fusion surgery denial

Wanted so help and advice on a lumbar fusion surgery denial.So far I have been denied twice.Now I filed a complain with the Insurance department commissioner.Anyone else been thru this?I am in such need of this fusion.

• EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 11/07/2014 - 7:08 AM
    Is it a "Not medically necessary" denial? First I'd check with your insurance company that it's not a coding issue. Maybe they want you to try more conservative things first. There's a whole section on insurance type issues. Select "Mind/Body/Spirit" at the top left of the screen & follow the link. Best of luck. Others have shared your experience.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I am also currently facing this issue with a disc replacement surgery. They said it wasn't medically necessary, but I've tried everything else for the past 18 years. I was advised to have my surgeon call the insurance company directly to convince them that it was a necessary surgery and all other avenues have been explored. We are now waiting on the insurance company. Perhaps give that a shot. Good luck!
  • Because of the overuse and (given) sometimes spinal fusion surgery is actually counterproductive to a patient, we want to make sure our members are receiving the quality services they need and are not getting something that's not appropriate for them," Chambers said. "The studies support that non-surgical interventions over a period of time can result in the same benefits as having the surgery.