Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Headaches worsen during/after car rides

First some back round to my issues-I had acdf surgery 9-9-14 at C5/C6 for a herniated disc that was causing spinal cord compression and myelopathy. I also have had problems with headaches throughout the neck issues. I am unable to wear hats, headbands or pretty much anything on my head that causes pressure. That sucks since when I am at work I have to wear a hairnet and bump cap. As soon as I could I would rip off the bump cap and throw it somewhere until I had to go back out into the plant. Anyways,The surgery went well and I started weaning off the collar in early October. I was having nerve pain yet and headaches at my 1 month appt. The headaches were annoying but tolerable but I had a flare up caused by a sneeze that caused shoulder and neck pain all the way down my back just a few days before my appointment. The Doc started me on gabapentin 300 mg. as well as continue taking the cyclobenzaprine (Flexeral) for the muscle spasms. After starting to take the gabapentin, the headaches became excruciatingly painful by the time I got to the full dose. The headaches start at the back of my head and neck and go forward on the left side behind my eyes and my entire face hurts from it. I called the doctor and he told me to increase the gabapentin and make sure I was taking the cyclobenzaprine regularly. I gave it a week but I ended up needing 4 Tylenol every 4 hrs and even then I barely made it the 4 hours. I called the doctor again on Wednesday and he prescribed an oral steroid and to talk with the physical therapist on Thursday. I started the steroid right away Wednesday and I was feeling somewhat better but not great. The physical therapist decided to try "dry needling" in the third sub-occipital nerve. He said that both sides were pretty tight and inflamed but the left side was worse( the side that the pain was on up to my eyes and side of my face). It wasn't fun but he said that it seemed less inflamed afterwards. On the way home the headache was coming back and was almost full blown by the time we got home. I went to bed early that night with the headache again. Yesterday, I woke up in full flare up mode in my neck shoulders, arm pain and muscle spasms. And of course the headache but it wasn't that bad. Later in the afternoon, we had to take my son somewhere for a trip. The headache became excruciating during the ride. I tried putting something around my neck and between the headrest and the back of the head because of the headache. While we waited for the bus for the trip my son was going on, it got better since we were not in the car. As soon as we left, the headache came back. Got home and it took close to an hour but it lessened. Went to get groceries and the headache came back. By the time we got home, I was barely able to keep my eyes open and function. Ended up going to bed again. The headache would not go away. I took all my meds and Tylenol and it didn't touch it. Ended up taking an Oxycodone and it dulled but didn't help the pain.
I have looked up stuff regarding the symptoms. It sounds like cervicogenic headaches. I haven't gotten a formal diagnosis yet. What I cant figure out is why riding in a car is all the sudden making the headaches worse. Has anyone else had this? A friend had mentioned a possible spinal fluid leak but I don't know why this would be the problem. I know that no one can give me medical advice and I am not asking for it but I am just wondering if anyone else has had this experience or anything similar.
Tracie C